Mediaportal crashes on playback of recordings (1 Viewer)

pete0

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Shure, MediaPortal is not directly causing the problem, but using the dll is a part of the MP software and calling a function within the dll leads to an freeze of MP. So it can bee seen as a bug in the MediaPortal software which should be fixed.

One possible fix could be to switch back to the working version of the dll until the main cause within the dll is found and fixed. An other solution, in the meaning of more robust software, could be to implement a sort of watchdog/timer before calling the function and if the function didn't responde within a certain time to stop the action and show an error message like "Can't play recording".

Peter

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    One possible fix could be to switch back to the working version of the dll until the main cause within the dll is found and fixed. An other solution, in the meaning of more robust software, could be to implement a sort of watchdog/timer before calling the function and if the function didn't responde within a certain time to stop the action and show an error message like "Can't play recording".

Feel free to provide a patch :p

Simone

pete0

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just tried it, still not working.

All versions after 0.7.26.0 are not working with at least three of my recent recodings.

Are there any dissatvantages with using 0.7.26.0 with MP 1.1.1?

Peter

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Not to rub salt in the wound, but somewhere along the way there began problems with MediaInfo. I'd reported this back in June and the MP guys have been taking interest and working with the MediaInfo developers up to a point. As you, I have been asking WHY are we (MediaPortal) using the latest versions of a .dll when we find several folks have trouble with it? The tone expressed by Simone is one of frustration - he can't recode MediaInfo, nor does he have time. We should try to open reports on the MediaInfo site and get to a common solution there... until that's done I would do as you're doing and overwrite MediaInfo with the 0.7.26 version you find works for you - I don't think it will cause MP any issue...

MY concern is that new users trying MediaPortal will have problems and leave. MP is a great application and I probably only use the basics for TV-recording, DVD playback, and .avi .mkv & .m4v playback. It works for me!

I was reading back - did you try simply renaming the "corrupt" .ts files as .mkv files and playing? I'd suggested that back here yet you didn't report how that worked. Simone saw that "test" as an indicator toward understanding if the file itself was corrupt or just the metadata that MediaInfo was harvesting.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    We have even bigger issues with older MEdiaInfo.dll ,this is why we stick on latest.

BTW, I cannot reproduce the issue with the samples provided to the MediaInfo tracker.

Simone

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    BTW, I cannot reproduce the issue with the samples provided to the MediaInfo tracker.

Hi Simone,

Thanks for helping out with this issue (which is a real show stopper when it occurrs). The latest snapshot does indeed work with the sample I have provided to MediaInfo/MP. This sample is the first 50MB of a total file of about 1,2GB. When loading the complete file into the GUI the latest snapshot of mediainfo still hangs like before. So some progress has been made but the issue is still not solved.

I guess I must upload the complete file to MediaInfo so that the developer can investigate why the partial sample works but not the complete file. Do you see any need of me uploading the complete file also to the MP FTP so that you can try this at your setup as well?

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Do you see any need of me uploading the complete file also to the MP FTP so that you can try this at your setup as well?

Nope, please upload to MediaInfo ftp server so they can fix it. There is nothing we can do about that unfortunately.

Simone

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have just verified the GUI and .dll from the 22nd of October. They are both working for all of my full sample files. Problem solved on my system/files. Tnx to the MediaInfo developer and MPteam for following up on the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom