Mediaportal hanging on resume for recording v1.5 (1 Viewer)

mark thackeray

Portal Member
April 21, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm having a problem after upgrading from v1.3.

Machine is an Acer iDea 500 running Windows 7 32-bit (upgraded with T7200 cpu, 2GB RAM and 2TB drive, plus a hauppauge Nova-TD stick). Machine will record happily and all other functions work fine. I am running PowerScheduler++ as included in 1.5, and machine shuts down after 5 minutes of inactivity. Pressing the power button resumes mediaportal fine. I am suspending to hybrid sleep under control of PowerScheduler - this is how I had it under 1.3, and has worked fine previously. I'd like to stick with v1.5 as Onlinevideos does not support 1.3 any more.

When the machine wakes up automatically when a recording is scheduled, the TV (connected via SCART/composite) does not show anything (possibly away mode?) but the computer hangs completely a short while after starting - usually it is within 4 minutes, but some times it is even before the recording starts (I have a 60 second pre-record wake up I believe). I've tried turning off away mode, disabling the away mode driver (don't seem to be able to turn it off in the BIOS as there is no option for it), turning off the re-initialise tuners option and even tried restarting the client on resume, nothing seems to be working. All drivers are the most up-to-date ones that I can find and all recent windows updates have been installed.

As far as I can tell I can't see anything obvious in the logs, which I've included, after starting in "bug report" mode. Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Help!

Mark

Attachments

• Mediaportal log 08-10-13.zip
    37.6 KB

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
When the machine wakes up automatically when a recording is scheduled, the TV (connected via SCART/composite) does not show anything (possibly away mode?)
This is not "away mode" but given Windows behaviour: The display and audio device are off until there is a user activity (so never for automatic wakeup, recording and standby cycle). As soon as you touch anything (mouse, keyboard, remote) your display and audio should come to life.
but the computer hangs completely a short while after starting - usually it is within 4 minutes, but some times it is even before the recording starts (I have a 60 second pre-record wake up I believe).
What do you mean by "hangs completely"? Does this mean that it does not react on user activity? This would be an error ofc. But: Do not try to disable away mode (BTW: there is no away mode driver since Windows XP), since this would make it possible that you suspend your system manually while it is recording.

Michael

PS: Your logs are not complete - create them as described in the wiki

Last edited:

Nielsen

Portal Pro
December 6, 2004
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi

I have just updated from 1.2.3.0 to 1.5 and I have the exact same problem, black screen when resuming for recording. A movement of the mouse or a press on the keyboard and MP is on the screen.

However, for me it is a very unpleasant behavior, because I only have a remote control as interface to MPL

When using the 1.2.3.0 I did not have this problem, and I have not made changes to the OS (Win7).
Something, or a setting, must have change in MP.

Any idea to make a workaround to this problem is very welcome.

Thanks.

BR/
Nielsen

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi
I have just updated from 1.2.3.0 to 1.5 and I have the exact same problem, black screen when resuming for recording. A movement of the mouse or a press on the keyboard and MP is on the screen.
However, for me it is a very unpleasant behavior, because I only have a remote control as interface to MPL
When using the 1.2.3.0 I did not have this problem, and I have not made changes to the OS (Win7). Something, or a setting, must have change in MP.
Any idea to make a workaround to this problem is very welcome.
Thanks.
BR/
Nielsen
What you describe is exactly the desired behaviour of a Windows system when it wakes up automatically. It then does not enable display and audio unless it recognizes a user activity. Then display and audio are enabled and you see the MP screen. IMHO this also makes sense, since otherwise e.g. your just active music playlist would continue to play with full volume when your PC wakes up during the night for a scheduled recording. The problem here is your remote control which should be seen as user activity by Windows but actually is not.

Michael

Nielsen

Portal Pro
December 6, 2004
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi Michael

Thank you for your reply. I guess i have live with it, or find some kind of workaround.
But, just for my curiosity, what has changed from 1.2.3.0 to 1.5 since I did not have the problem in 1.2.3.0??

BR
Nielsen

mark thackeray

Portal Member
April 21, 2013
Home Country
Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I came home yesterday to find that this happened again - I have uploaded a complete set of logs, hopefully this might help. System seems to have stopped making logs at about 19:03, I got in about midnight.

By hang completely, I mean that the system does not respond to anything - keyboard, mouse or remote (replugging the keyboard or mouse does not re-initalise it), and is unreachable via VNC, pressing the power button does not work (so have to hold button for 5 second to turn off). Windows system logs showed an unexpected shutdown sometime around 19:02, sadly no other hints there - there are two common errors, one about a startup driver (Null) not loading, and another about system firmware memory corruption - I am running the latest BIOS for this computer, I will try and re-install it if possible and replace the battery (although I am not sure if this is a red herring). Since my last post I have completely re-installed windows and Mediaportal 1.5, and found the away mode system and turned it off in the BIOS (cunningly it was called Energy Lake function. Obviously) just in case that was something.

Apologies, I was not running debug mode, I will try and do that today. I noticed that in the logs the system did resume for a recording earlier in the day without issue then went back to sleep.

Regards,

Mark

mark thackeray

Portal Member
April 21, 2013
Home Country
Further investigation/testing has shown that if a key is touched after the system automatically resumes from sleep (within first few minutes) then recording works fine. If no key is touched, system hangs sometime during recording. Log files attached - recorded a program at 18:59 yesterday (13-10-13) and touched key on keyboard as system resumed - no problems. Today recorded program while at work (11:04 start), recorded about 4 seconds, then approx 46 minutes of black before system hung completely.

Regards,

Mark

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Michael

Thank you for your reply. I guess i have live with it, or find some kind of workaround.
But, just for my curiosity, what has changed from 1.2.3.0 to 1.5 since I did not have the problem in 1.2.3.0??

BR
Nielsen
There was a modification in the MP client code handling the resume from standby. I do not know these changes but I assume that they now respect the difference between an automatic and a user initiated wakeup.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom