MediaPortal on ITX (1 Viewer)

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
I don't know about using a NAS, but I can confirm that recording to a remote disk is fine. I just have a 32GB SSD in my MP PC for the OS and programs etc, and all recordings are done to my server. Assuming the NAS has adequate performance it should be OK but I guess you'd need to test this.

Tinyputers

Portal Member
May 16, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
can I assume that you are using the tv-server and client seperately, or does your 32gb system run both, with the recordings being transfered to your media server?

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
It runs both - I have the TV server and client both on the PC with the 32Gb SSD in the living room, and then recordings go to a Samba share on a Linux server. The recordings are done directly to the server though (as opposed to being transferred there later) - I've just specified a network share as the recordings path in the config. The timeshift buffers are local on the SSD. HTH.

Tinyputers

Portal Member
May 16, 2009
Home Country
Thank you, this is exactly what I want to setup. The timeshifting to the htpc, and the recordings onto the nas. I'm glad that this is possible. Is there much strain on the system whilst it is doing time shifting, or is it merely dumping the stream to disk (thus only an IO strain).

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
To be honest I can't say I've really checked what the system's doing when it's timeshifting - it copes - with SD or HD content, so I've never thought to look at what's going on. This is a 2.4Ghz (I think) Core2Duo, ASUS P5E-VM mainboard. I could have a look sometime if you like.

Tinyputers

Portal Member
May 16, 2009
Home Country
It would be useful to know as I have a second client that will be connecting to the tv-server on this machine for live streams, and am assuming the timeshifting all happens at the tv-server end.

bezedache

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 18, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    From everything that has been written above, and the reviews that I have read, the Atom 330 should able to do this. If you were to consider the ION platform, the atom will be far less stressed whilst playback.

If it's ok with a d945clf2 I buy her:D
    The zotac motherboards are to expensive and there isn't pci slot and tv out except hdmi and dvi:(

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    It would be useful to know as I have a second client that will be connecting to the tv-server on this machine for live streams, and am assuming the timeshifting all happens at the tv-server end.

Timeshifting is all performed by the TV-server, and you can specify where the timeshift buffer files are stored.

Tony

ToyRotar

Portal Member
    March 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Interesting thread - I also have a very similar set of requirements...

Any progress Tinyputers?

What sort of NAS & Network device are you using?

Best Regards,
    David.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom