MediaPortal performance tweaks for dummies? (1 Viewer)

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
June 27, 2008
Geneva, Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Windows Version: Vista Home Premium SP1
CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz
Memory: 4GM RAM
Motherboard: Asus P5N-EM HDMI
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro

Although I have been using MP for about 3 years, I realise I am out now out of my depth with my latest MP issues and so am appealing to this community for help...

I came home from a 10-day business trip to a hugely unresponsive MP. I can only guess that windows ran some automatic upgrades while I was away, the net result of which was terrible stuttering on all channels. I spent the best part of my week off fixing MP which has only been partly successful.

Some things were clear early on:
1. I could view all channels perfectly in the TV config viewer, so the issue is with MP and not the satelite feed for the TV signal.
2. I had up to 100% CPU on HD channels, so I started looking at options to reduce the CPU load. Switching from the StreamedMP skin to Blue3Wide made an immediately improvement, which allowed me conclude that the skin can effect performance (correct?). I tested all skins and settled on Black Glass Novo which works well. I was dropping about 15% of frames in StreamedMP, now it is zero.
3. During these tests, I learned about the "!" function in MP which displays some kind of display performance. I don't know exactly what this shows except that, stable lines correspond to a good picture.
4. From hints in these forums pages, I played with all codec options I had. I had discovered in the past that PDVD8 codecs were not good on my system, but of the others I have (standard out-of-the-box codecs?) I don't see a noticable difference. I settled on DivX for HD.
5. Testing demonstrated that BBC HD and BBC One HD were the most difficult channels. HD Suisse and ITV HD usually worked fine.
6. I played with the display resolution on my system, which franckly didn't seem to make any difference.

I am now at a point where I have a (largely) stable system: I can view all TV channels (touch wood - experience suggests this may deteriorate over time). The main issue is that I can't watch HD TV recordings: this usually (not always) crashes MP. As my issues are with HD, this suggest I could have a software (codec) issue or a hardware weakness (CPU or graphics capability).

I searched the forums and found lots of different directions to take to test my setup - trying other codecs, closing down all other unnecessary programs, fiddling with (in my case) the Catalyst CC, graphic card driver updates, new hardware, etc. I got lost in the advice on the forums and can't figure my best next steps. Any I am now in the departure lounge for another 10-day trip...

What I am missing is a basic guide to improving performance and/or diagnosing issues:
1. What are the key variables that effect MP performance? Is it the skin (as I have seen) or plug-ins or other things?
1. What do codecs do? Is there a way beyond trial-and-error to test them? How can you be sure that you are actually testing the codec you ave selected?
2. How can I figure out if I have a hardware bottleneck?
(e.g. the solution for me could be a new graphics card, but I'd like to know this with some certainty before buying one)?

Can anyone either post some advice or point me in the direction of pertinant threads?

Yours in desperation, SB.

mpnoobie

Portal Member
June 27, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, I'm disappointed to see that no one has responded...I'm having similar troubles, and I am even less aware of some of MP 1's newest features. For instance, how do you use the "!" feature you talked about....I'm having choppy playback on all my stored content and I can't tell if it's a drive problem or a system/MP problem.

Thanks,
Matthew

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MediaPortal performance tweaks for dummies?

"!" = press shift+1 when video playback is on.

SwissBuster: I think your graphic card is too weak for HD content.

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    THat graphics card is plenty powerful enough for HD content, one of my MP clients is running a severely old ati x1300 and has no issues playing HD TV or blurays.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    THat graphics card is plenty powerful enough for HD content, one of my MP clients is running a severely old ati x1300 and has no issues playing HD TV or blurays.

I'm quite sure that 2400pro or x1300 don't have enough processing power to handle channels that are using 1080i.

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Yes they do! I have multiple clients, 2 of which are 2400 with 1.86ghz core2duo and the other is x1300 with 1.86ghz core2duo and both playback HD 1080i TV plus bluray rips (direct rips from disc, not re-encoded) without any issues whatsoever.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    well a simple performance tweak is , buy a solid state drive for your timeshift files, zapping just goes faster and the gui is more responsive.

on your problem, streamed MP is nice, but is extra software that could contain bugs, you did the right thing switching back to blue wide, which worked fine right away.

So you should look for an update to streamed MP , or check if this a known bug maybe ?

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Well.

Have you checked Mediaportals new wiki. There is a doc "stuttering blayback" in Mp1 section. It might give you some hints what to check.
    Br

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Yes they do! I have multiple clients, 2 of which are 2400 with 1.86ghz core2duo and the other is x1300 with 1.86ghz core2duo and both playback HD 1080i TV plus bluray rips (direct rips from disc, not re-encoded) without any issues whatsoever.

ATI Radeon HD 2X00 (2400,2600,2900) series owners thread - AVS Forum

Radeon 2400's:
    - Good for general HD disk playback (HD DVD, Blu-ray, 1080p, note: some disks are only 1080i, see below)
    - Not great at 1080i (broadcasts/satellite/some HD disks), has problems deinterlacing

Radeon 2600's:
    - Good for general HD disk playback (HD DVD, Blu-ray, 1080p)
    - Can handle 1080i deinterlacing as well

And that doesn't take account the fact that MP acuses extra work for GPU (skin engine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom