MediaPortal performance tweaks for dummies? (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Well my 2400 works just fine with 1080i material so I don't know why you've felt the need to tell me that.

Maybe you aren't using 1080 resolution on the display device? Maybe those aren't high bitrate content? Maybe the deinterlacing issues isn't enough visible on the material you have? Maybe the HW just falls back to BOB deinterlace? Who knows. We just don't have enough information from your setup.

Sometimes I just wonder why I keep trying to help users. At least I leave this thread alone.

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I feel a bit same as tourettes. It's not fun to try to help when all we get back is agressive voice.

In general anything in htpc setup counts for playback quality. Codecs,drivers for video,audio, cpu, hdd, dma mode of hdd, screen resolution and refreshrate, background tasks running,, material that is played. For examply one user had badly encoded aac transmission and there was a lot of tryouts before it could be solved in some manner.

Anyway it is general kwonledge that those gpu's are in very thin edge when playing 1080i material. Some work, others wont.

Br,

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I feel a bit same as tourettes. It's not fun to try to help when all we get back is agressive voice.

No agression here - I appreciate the help.

It is general knowledge that those gpu's are in very thin edge when playing 1080i material. Some work, others wont.

So, it could be several things on my setup but the key candidate is my graphics card. From the answers here it appears that my card is known to not handle HD TV well (I can play Blueray). I am willing to fork out for a new card to see if this fixes my issue, but which card should I get? I chose the Radeon HD2400 Pro because it (1) does not have a fan (runs quitely) and (2) it has a small profile which meant it fits in my Antec case.

One answer here suggests using a solid state HDD. How do I do that, exactly?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You'r GPU might be a bit weak, but from what you write, I kinda doubt that this is what is causing your issues.

Both skins and plugin can affect the way MP performs. My advice would be to make sure you are using latest version of skin, plugins and MP itself (MP has become both faster and more stable lately). If you experience the same (memory leak?), it would be nice if you could try to fetch some logs, so the doctors can try to find the problem - and hopefully help you cure it.

Also, IMO keeping number of plugins and codecs installed generally is a "safer route" - although not as fun :D

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Sounds like a codec issue to me - make sure you are using a codec that takes advantage of your graphics cards hardware

And how do I do that, exactly?

Prolly searing in the church now, but you could try SAF; even if it is a codec pack, it is easy to install, easy to configure/use, well documented and tested by many happy users. (I use it when setting up systems for others, although I don't use it myself).

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Wow I saw the thread title and came here to learn some tweaks how ironic that there are none here only "your hardware is the issue". Since the question was about some tweaks could we have some please? I have a QUAD i7 running 3.6 GHZ with 12 GIGS DDR3 1600 Ram and have DUAL NVIDIA GTX 460's and a 750 gig and 1 Terabyte WD BLACK SATA Drive running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I have some performance issues that are very small but annoying. It seems anytime I launch MP it stutters for about a minute. Also when I go into a menu then come out it hangs for a few seconds. Please dont tell me its my hardware LOL....

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wow I saw the thread title and came here to learn some tweaks how ironic that there are none here only "your hardware is the issue". Since the question was about some tweaks could we have some please? I have a QUAD i7 running 3.6 GHZ with 12 GIGS DDR3 1600 Ram and have DUAL NVIDIA GTX 460's and a 750 gig and 1 Terabyte WD BLACK SATA Drive running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I have some performance issues that are very small but annoying. It seems anytime I launch MP it stutters for about a minute. Also when I go into a menu then come out it hangs for a few seconds. Please dont tell me its my hardware LOL....

well in a way it is :D , but the reason at the moment is MP itself, just wait untill the beta comes out and all will be fine.
    timeshifting makes your harddrive go nuts at the moment, in the new beta is a patch/fix included which reduces diskactivity for 95% ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom