1.27.0 mediaportal split between two monitors? (1 Viewer)

gpnash

Portal Pro
March 2, 2015
Linden, Michigan
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My Media PC is currently connected via hdmi -> denon receiver -> samsung 60 inch tv.
I'm looking at adding a 24 inch touch screen to it, I'm using the nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti.

What I was wondering is can I display the stream output on the TV and the program menus/epg stuff on the 24 inch monitor?
The idea being to set the monitor closer to the couch so old eyes can read it and use the touch screen to change channels.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    set the monitor closer to the couch so old eyes can read it
    There is at least one skin that provides larger text, which may be easier for you to read. This is the curiously-named "Amped" skin (which I used for a while when I first started with MP).

Unfortunately, most MP skins are moribund, and that includes "Amped". So it has had no updates for quite a few releases, and it won't support recent changes. Also, I don't know what level of support it offers for plugins (I don't use plugins). Nevertheless, it may still work to an acceptable level.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    use the touch screen to change channels.
    Have you tried touchscreen control of MP1 on a screen that you already own? The support for touchscreen looks to be somewhat limited; see this thread, and the three posts starting with this one.

Simple touchscreen actions probably do work, and they may be enough for the type of control that you want. But I would not purchase a new touchscreen without knowing ahead of time that the limitations are going to be acceptable.

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    I can't help just being lazy. CyberSimian since you showed me how to get the audio working correctly I moved on to my next step in couchpotatoness...
    I'm just looking for a way to have both a fullscreen show up and have the EPG on another, possibly touchscreen, monitor.
    Do the skins even have a way to specify which monitor objects are displayed on?
    If they did a skin for EPG that took the little tv image and placed on the big screen and put rest of the EPG listing on the little screen would do it.
    For that matter just to be able to direct the skin panel to the little monitor always leaving the fullscreen on the big one would work too..

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Do the skins even have a way to specify which monitor objects are displayed on?
    As far as I know, this capability is not available to MP skins. Hence all skins will be the same in this respect.

If this capability were supported by MP, it would be a setting in "MP Config". I have just had a look, and there does not seem to be any setting that might control this.

The other possibility is to use some external (non-MP) tool that can separate out the two layers (video and static windows), and direct them to different screens. I am not aware of any such software (but that does not mean that there isn't any). :(

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    About what I thought. I'm guessing that MP2.3.2 is in the same boat?
    I really think that this belongs in the skin area, but if I'm going to be writing anything I thinking it's probably time to look at version 2.
    Just imagine with a main screen and two touch screens and skin support of multiple monitors you could program a game show....

unfortunately I can't seem to get MP2 to install on my main htpc (windows 10 20h with .net 3.5/4.8) install gets to starting services
    then says it can't and makes me cancel so it can uninstall. .net 4.5.x can't be installed with 4.8 installed... oh well.
    It's taking a back stage to the train layout anyway. :)

Thanks for your help... I'll update this if I go any further down the dark side.

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    Netexplorer.... Tried something like that once upon a time and it was just too complicated/complex/convoluted of a solution.
    A lot like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. besides selecting a program on the tablet with EPG wouldn't change the main screen it would display the show on the tablet. I wrote an application to display the epg on the tablet and remotely change the channel on the HTPC but because of the software architecture of MP1 that was never reliable. I quit working on that completely when I found that MP2 moved away from MSSQL. I thought I'd be migrating to MP2 and didn't want to be working on things that wouldn't move along with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom