Mediaportal TV Server Comskiplauncher + comskip81_069 problem (1 Viewer)

killer8

Portal Pro
July 29, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I'd really like to know whether the plugin is at fault, because we are responsible for that and should attempt to fix it if it is at fault. Compatibility issues between ComSkip and W8/8.1 are outside our control though.

That's what was reported. I can't confirm it myself as I have never used ComSkip and I run on XP.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...just-stopped-help.122676/page-10#post-1078323
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...just-stopped-help.122676/page-12#post-1100765

[Note that MP does not install the ComSkip executable of course.]

Thanks for your report! :)

I don't really know, but I guess by attempting to run the ComSkip executable manually.

There is no question that ComSkip is compatible with XP, Vista and 7, since people have been using it on those OSes for years.

I know but I mean incase it works at your side there is a big chance the problem is win 8.1 + comskip. Incase you have the same problem we can be quite sure it's not OS related.

not sure how to reproduce killer8 problem.

win8.1 USA/ATSC test system, downloaded/installed comskip81_069 all default settings. enabled comskip launcher "start at begin", did a manual comskip test for recorded ATSC show, let it run and produced comskip info to skip chapters/commercials. manual skip chapters showed comskip did a good job at find/skip commercials.

dual tuner ATSC system, started a sceduled recording, comskip started/ran no problems. let recording run till end, comskip produced needed chapters, manual comskip seemed to work

while 1st recording/comskip was in progress, viewed shows with 2nd tuner, no problem, started manual "record now" "current program" see comskip is running. Since both tuners busy, can't switch channel, did mouse right-click to bring up menu, stopped recording. No problems start/view another channel. The scheduled recording competed on time, comskip also generated valid data, manual chapter/commercial skip works as expected

Based on 30-45 minutes of testing, don't see any major comskip or MePo hang problems.

Thank you for your time to run the same tests. Maybe it's something else in my config

also, on this part of the problem, when you started watching/record, did you use "manual stop" or stop "current program"?

EDIT COMMENT, this is with MePo 1.9.0

I used manual stop last time but had the problem multiple times last week and I've used current program/scheduled program.

I'm only reporting second or third hand information as I don't run W8/8.1. My understanding is that eventually the attempt to start the ComSkip process will deadlock, causing other scheduled recordings to fail to start and current scheduled recordings to fail to stop automatically at their schedule times. Additional conditions such as multiple simultaneous recordings may or may not be required, I don't know. I recall from logs I've read the deadlock doesn't necessarily happen on the first recording.

In short: as far as I'm concerned reproduction might take a bit of "luck".

I'm getting to think it's something else in my configuration. I'm running TvService as another user to make it possible to record straight to my NAS. Maybe that user doesn't have the right permissions. Another thing, i'm using MDAPI Plus maybe that's making a difference.

I will check this out later this week. Thank you for your help:) For now I will keep comskip disabled since that's a good workaround.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    any idea if the problems happen with comskip start "at beginning" or "at end"?
    Based on the details in the previous report, "at beginning"...
    _tvController.Fire(this,
    new TvServerEventArgs(TvServerEventType.RecordingStarted, new VirtualCard(user), (User)user,
    recDetail.Schedule, recDetail.Recording));
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...just-stopped-help.122676/page-10#post-1078323

...but it is possible that "at end" also has the same effect.

@JJDoherty any additional information you can share/add would be welcome here. :)

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I fixed this issue. It's actually quite stupid. I installed comskip81_056 which worked without problems. After that I tried this version manually works also fine.

Then I tried comskip81_069 manually. Which gives me a windows smartscreen notification which says: "You're computer is being kept secure". I just clicked "More information" and ran comskip anyway. Now it works.

I also tried in mediaportal and the problem and crashes is gone now. Seems the newer comskip81_069 needs more permissions and windows smartscreen blocks it intially. So giving permissions is the fix but earlier versions of comskip didn't need it. Maybe this will help someone else:)

Anyway thank you for the help by fixing this issue

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I also saw the win8 warning popup, should have mentioned that in my message, did not think it was important, my mistake? When I setup MePo/comskip I usually do the manual test to make sure I have the correct setup.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It always worked so I just put the files in the folder and ran:) You are right testing manually first would be better. Maybe this should be mentioned somewhere in the plugin page in tv service or the wiki so other people don't have the same problem and search for hours to get it fixed.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just to make the test case complete. I donated for the donation version and installed it. It works great. I also didn't have the windows smartscreen notification on first use.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, thanks for the information guys. Glad to know there is nothing wrong with the plugin. :)
    So to confirm: is it completely unnecessary to run ComSkip.exe manually for ComSkip setup etc.?
    We could add it to the wiki, but not sure where we would put it that would be easily found. Any suggestion?

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Depends on the version that is used. 56 didn't have the problem. 69 had the problem but 69 donators version didn't have the problem.

Maybe you can add it in the troubleshooting section here http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/13_Plugins/ComSkip_Launcher Atleast that would be the place where I would search for this. From the other side it isn't very clear in the beginning the problem is with Comskip(I discovered the problem after about a week with many plugins enabled). Maybe it's better to put it in a more general place in the wiki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom