Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering : does MP2 will be "standard" compatible. I mean, it seems the uPNP library is "MP specific". I can't see the MP Server throught Windows Media or my DSL Multimedia box.

So is it planed to make it full uPNP and DNLA compatible ? It could be nice if the client could see a DNLA server, and if the server could work with DNLA TV for example.

Other point, I can't find how to have multiple servers attached on a single client. You could say "why should I want this ?" : maybe to have a second server somewhere else with some others ressources, or a DNLA server :p

Cheers.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Smeulf: MP 2 uses uPNP, but at the moment there are no plans to make it standards compliant (there was a discussion a while ago about this, https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-progress-report-83837/index3.html#post633780 ). One reason being that the DLNA spec needs to be bought and costs 50 K$ (I remember roughly, so don't nail me on the exact number. But please feel free to donate to the project ;-) ).

So DLNA will not be part of the core (at least in the first version(s)). A smart plugin developer could of course create a fitting DLNA server component. And might provide a plugin to bridge the gap to other DLNA servers.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MediaPortal2 : uPNP, DNLA ?

MP2 is absolutely UPnP compliant, only we don't provide UPnP/AV at the moment, which is necessary to see other UPnP/AV devices and to be seen from other UPnP/AV control points. Currently, we use our own device definitions over UPnP, but we DO plan to support UPnP/AV.
    A DLNA certified device is a UPnP/AV device, but the specification imposes more restrictions on the product to make it interoperate better with other DLNA certified UPnP/AV devices, clients and control points.
    And it is expensive to become DLNA certified. I remember some price of about 5000$, but IIRC the prices were lower the last time I looked on their page. So probably we won't be DLNA certified, at least for the first time.
    But we plan to implement UPnP/AV and, off course, if we get the specs, we want to implement as much of the DLNA specs as possible.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Ah, forgot to answer the server question.
    MP2 only supports one single home server. If you want to have more computers hosting media, you can either use another client (clients can also share media) or - the better solution - use some connector to another MP2 server. We don't have such a component but it's not difficult to write something like that.

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re: AW: MediaPortal2 : uPNP, DNLA ?

But we plan to implement UPnP/AV and, off course, if we get the specs, we want to implement as much of the DLNA specs as possible.

That's a good news ! :D

use some connector to another MP2 server. We don't have such a component but it's not difficult to write something like that.

So let's wait MP2 to released, after that maybe someone will write that component...

One reason being that the DLNA spec needs to be bought and costs 50 K$ (I remember roughly, so don't nail me on the exact number.

50000 (or even 5000€), it's some money, I agree, maybe too much for a free software.

But please feel free to donate to the project ;-)

I'm thinking about it. For now, I give time to MP2...

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Re: AW: MediaPortal2 : uPNP, DNLA ?

Ah, forgot to answer the server question.
    MP2 only supports one single home server. If you want to have more computers hosting media, you can either use another client (clients can also share media) or - the better solution - use some connector to another MP2 server. We don't have such a component but it's not difficult to write something like that.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "hosting media"? Is a "media host" a file server or a MP2 server.

Basically I'm asking wether or not one can have multiple file servers in one MP2 network.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

zicoz, to answer that, we need to make clear what an MP2 server is. The definition is like this: The MP2 server contains the MediaLibrary. There is only one MediaLibrary in a whole MP2 system and thus only one MP2 server. The ML is the database where all media of the whole system is stored. You can search and browse media using the ML. It should be clear why there can only be one ML in an MP2 system: Because 1) it doesn't really make sense to have multiple databases in a system and 2) it would need a very complicated logic if we distributed the media storage to multiple computers.
    That means, one ML and thus one server in a system. The MP2 server becomes the "home server" for an MP2 client as soon as the client attaches to it. Technically, there can be multiple MP2 servers in a subnet, but the home server is the one server a client is attached to and where all its client's media is cataloged.

But you are not restricted on the number of computers which CONTAIN media. For example, you could have several file servers whose media files are accessed by the MP2 server via file shares. Or via UPnP/AV (when we have implemented it).
    MP2 clients can also host media (which means each client can have local shares which are accessible in the whole MP2 system). But client shares are only available during the runtime of a client, which is typically much shorter then the runtime of the MP2 server.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok that's how I tought it worked, just that "hosted media" that threw me off a bit thank you for the explanation.

GetWell

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    A friend just told me that the open source PS3MediaServer project has upnp and dlna support, so maybe you could have a look at their code? The project is developed in java, but maybe its possible to translate it for .net?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom