MediaPortal2 will not stream content for multi-seat configuration (1 Viewer)

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
July 31, 2016
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi Lehmden,

Thank you for your continued help. It is appreciated. I "muxed" one of my files from MPEG4 to MKV. I couldn't play the MPEG4 file, but then I was able to play the MKV file. I have attached the log.

You wrote that this was a sign that "it's an issue of the default splitter in your directshow system on "Lennie". I have uninstalled and installed MP2 Client on "Lennie" a couple of times, but it hasn't made a difference. Is it possible to fix the default splitter?

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I see where you started Air Force One (1997).mkv

Some of your problems seem to be associated to the LAV software that is installed with MP2.
    The only Splitter that seems to be used currently is
    BDHandler: Detected BluRay Source Filter 'LAV Splitter Source' on the system.

The catch is, it is Not Uninstalled with MP2. If you want to return to a fresh install of LAV, then you have to Uninstall it, reboot, and then reinstall it....

When I do a Clean uninstall and reinstall, I :
    Uninstall MP2
    Remove all the MP2 folders.
    Uninstall LAV
    Uninstall Doken
    Reboot.

Then I do a new install of MP2 and that bring the entire MP2 back to stock.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    then I was able to play the MKV file.
    That's great as the codecs are OK then, no need to fiddle with mainconcept codec and/or permiere...

I have uninstalled and installed MP2 Client on "Lennie"
    This issue is not due to MP2, so (un-)installing MP2 can not help.

If you really want to understand what's happening here you need to have a closer look on how the Windows DirectShow System is working. Not a trivial task. In very short...
    Any video has one or more "tracks". At least a single track with the picture. If not it wouldn't be a video file at all... But most videos also have one or more audio tracks, some have subtitle tracks, chapters, metatags and so on. You can use those tracks all as separate files. Subtitles are often separate files as there are a lot of them (different languages) on a DVD/BD disk It is much easier to store all those tracks into a single package. This package is called "container". Every container has it's own capabilities and it's own file extension. MP4 or MOV are container, mostly used on Apple computers. AVI and WMV are containers mostly used on Windows Systems. .TS is a container used on most broadcast stations as it has advantages while receiving it over air. MKV is the most powerful, most universal usable container today so it's the preferred container for all people who invest a lot of time in their media. There are lot more containers out there...

As Video tracks are extremely large they are compressed. The compression is done by the codecs. There are lots of them, as example Mpeg2 that is normally used on DVD and SD-TV, Mpeg4 (aka DivX and/or Xvid) , Mpeg4 Level 10 often named as H264 and used on BD and HDTV and a pretty new one, h265 used on UHD BD and 4K TV. But you can compress an UHD stream with Mpeg2 and a SD stream with h265, no problem. Audio can be compressed too. Common codecs are mp3, AC3, DTS, Flac, Ogg,...

To play such a video stored in a container you need to split the tracks as every type of track need a different treatment. This is where the DirectShow Splitter jumps in. It separates the Video, Audio, Subtitle,... streams and guide them to the matching codec... Aside the LAVF Splitter the most "famous" one is Haali Media Splitter but there are more outside. It looks as if this part did not work for mp4 containers on your "Lennie" system, but did work for ts and mkv...

The first thing you may try is to look at the LAVF Splitter configuration tool. You will find it in start menu. Have a look on "Input Formats" if the tick is set on mp4 like it is on the screenshot below.
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg .

If it is ticked, untick it, press "OK" and after that reboot your PC. If it is not ticked then tick it and do the same. Now try if the mp4 file is playing.

If this do the trick, we are done. But you even may try to re-enable LAVF for mp4 files again later. It's possible this cures those issue completely. If this did not help at all, we need to investigate further...

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Breese,
    I uninstalled and deleted the folders as per your advice. It didn't work.

Hi Lehmden,
    I unticked the box and rebooted. It made no difference. Then I ticked the box and rebooted. This made no difference. I do appreciate your tenacity.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This made no difference
    That's bad as we slowly running out of options. The "final" option, installing Windows from scratch always is possible, but there is at least one other step we can do before installing Windows again. This time you need special software to download and install. The software I mean is "Filmerit"
    You can find the program and how to use it here:
    https://www.rarst.net/software/filmerit/

Hope this one can fix your serious direct show issues.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    When you did the install, did you use the Bat file?
    If you did then there should be 2 logs, 1 will be of good size.
    Can you post them? They are in the same directory as the installer files.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Breese.
    The issue is not related to MP2 at all. It's some other program (maybe Adobe Premiere Elements) that has caused this. Uninstalling MP2 over and over again did not help by any meaning. We have identified this issue as an issue of the DirectShow splitter for mp4 files that is broken somehow.

You can uninstall LAVF in control panel without touching MP2 at all. And then install a fresh (and most likely more recent) version of LAVF again. As the bundled LAVF version often is pretty old I always use the separate download from Doom9. But I'm pretty sure this also will not help on this special issue only affecting the MP4 container on one of his systems...

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Breese,
    There was no Bat file created in the install file folder.

Hi Lehmden,
    Filmerit identified an error, but couldn't fix it. I think we have reached the end of the road for now. At some point in the future I may do a clean install, but not now. I'll just play video via rhe network neighbour using windows dvd player.

Thanks for all your help

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer Why did you rate my post as "missing steps to reproduce"?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom