Memory leak with just running TV in Media Portal (1 Viewer)

Chewyfood

Portal Member
October 16, 2005
Pentium4 2.4GHz (2.4C HT model)
512MB DDR2700 RAM
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
120GB 7200RPM PATA HD
Hauppauge Win TV-Go (PCI TV Tuner) (http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10186.html)

I first was using the stable 1.3 release and the memory usage was up to over 700MB Virtual, over 800MB virtual and physical combined.

Right now Im using 2.0 RC1, which I just installed.
Physical is a hash under 200MB, and virtual is a little over 200MB...nearly 400MB of RAM usage...JUST from viewing TV.

Timeshifting is disabled (even though I dont think it should be...oh well).
I have the XMLTV setup for 7 days worth of TV Guide data.
No videos or photos have been imported.

I just run the program. Click "My TV" and turn on the TV. And I just watch the memory soar.

Is it known for this model of TV tuner for the memory usage to soar?

edit:
I can use a memory cleaner to clean the physical memory usage...and i can get it under 10 MB, until i start changing channels and such.
The Virtual memory usage just keeps increasing...275MB now...

Chewyfood

Portal Member
October 16, 2005
dman_lfc said:
It's fixed in CVS

DMAN

I copied over the files from the most recent 10-16 CVS...i think 1400 hours CVS and i ran the .bat file (there were a few msising ax files that it couldnt copy to the \windows\system32 folder).

I ran Media Portal again...Im still seeing near 200MB RAM usage Physical and Virtual, for a total near 400MB.
edit: now 230/230, for a total over 460...

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Chewyfood said:
(there were a few msising ax files that it couldnt copy to the \windows\system32 folder)

The start.bat copies and registeres each possible .ax file. Not all .ax files are changed since 0.2.0.0 RC1, so there are only some of them in cvs. But the start.bat contains instructions for all of them. Nothing is missing.

Chewyfood

Portal Member
October 16, 2005
dman_lfc said:
And what were the ax files?

DMAN.

Here is the output from running it:

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>start.bat

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>REM thxto "Fishermans" for some Path-Updates

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /u /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MpaDecFilter.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /u /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Mpeg2DecFilter.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /u /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MpegAudio.dll"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /u /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MpegVideo.dll"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /u /s "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\directshowhelper.dll"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>copy "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MpaDecFilter.ax" C:\WINDOWS\system32\
The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>copy "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Mpeg2DecFilter.ax" C:\WINDOWS\system32\

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>copy "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MpegAudio.dll" C:\WINDOWS\system32\

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>copy "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MpegVideo.dll" C:\WINDOWS\system32\

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>copy "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MpaDecFilter.ax" C:\WINDOWS\system32\

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\CLDump.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MpgMux.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MPTS.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MPSA.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MPTSWriter.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MpaDecFilter.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Mpeg2DecFilter.ax"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MpegAudio.dll"

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal>regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MpegVideo.dll"

The files it said it couldnt find in the MediaPortal directory to copy to the system32 directory already exist in the C:\Windows\system32 directory...all of them

MpaDecFilter.ax - 577,536 bytes - 3/15/05 3:01 PM
Mpeg2DecFilter.ax - 225,280 bytes - 4/25/05 10:12 PM
MpegAudio.dll - 438,272 bytes - 3/14/05 8:28 AM
MpegVideo.dll - 290,816 bytes - 3/14/05 8:28 AM

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
October 7, 2005
Netherlands
Maybe it's wise (if you are going to change start.bat) to change the absolute paths to relative paths:

not C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\....
but .\....

People might install MediaPortal on a different drive or in a different folder.

Chewyfood

Portal Member
October 16, 2005
Zyphrax said:
Maybe it's wise (if you are going to change start.bat) to change the absolute paths to relative paths:

but .\....

i dont understand.
i dont have any intentions on modifying start.bat...

i was reading some other thread about the start.bat file and the fact that those files cant be found is normal. If one was to install a non-CVS release, like 2.0 RC1, those files are installed to the \windows\system32 folder by default.

civikdude

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
U.S.A.
Zyphrax said:

but .\....

Zyphrax - have you looked at start.bat?

It uses the current path (the path it's executed from), so your concern is not an issue.

It also uses a relative path for Windows (based on environment variable).

civikdude

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
U.S.A.
Chewyfood said:
The files it said it couldnt find in the MediaPortal directory to copy to the system32 directory already exist in the C:\Windows\system32 directory...all of them

MpaDecFilter.ax - 577,536 bytes - 3/15/05 3:01 PM
Mpeg2DecFilter.ax - 225,280 bytes - 4/25/05 10:12 PM
MpegAudio.dll - 438,272 bytes - 3/14/05 8:28 AM
MpegVideo.dll - 290,816 bytes - 3/14/05 8:28 AM

Chewyfood - don't be concerned by those "error" messages. They are normal. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom