Menu text not showing on most items (1 Viewer)

gaey

Portal Member
August 25, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Can anyone help?

I have spent months getting mediaportal working after moving from windows MC. Am using Avalon skin with myfilms and mp series.

Last night decided to install and try other skins, big mistake! Each skin seemed to get worse with bits not working so went back to Avalon. The menus have options blank but can click on them e.g. myfilms global option menu item is blank but can click it and popup menu appears. Music is even worse, full menu displayed but only settings has text all other options clickable but no text.

Uninstalled all other skins rebooted, no change. Deleted Avalon and reinstalled, no change. something outside skins must be corrupted.

any ideas anyone?

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Every skin has it´s own fonts.
    If you install the skins from MPEI installer, the fonts should be copied/registered automatically in the fonts folder of windows.
    Sometimes this does not work properly.
    In this case, navigate to the skin folder and the to the fonts folder, and doubleclick on the fonts inside that folder, then choose "Install" from the upper left side.
    Then reboot your PC - the fonts should now be registered and shown properly. ;)

BTW: What windows? What MP version? How about logs?

gaey

Portal Member
    August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for your help. I tried that. Avalon fonts were corrupt, went into windows/fonts and the Avalon fonts would not display. deleted them and reinstalled from another pc as fonts are not stored under the skin. This did not help. deleted fonts and reinstalled Avalon, this did not help. I don't think that it is just the Avalon fonts that have been corrupted. IU deleted the cache and rebooted each time.

I will try a fresh install of the MP client after taking a backup of everything in MP.

I am on the latest version of windows 10 and mediaprotal and all plugins including skin.

Am very surprised that installing another skin could do this. Just as I had everything working ggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am on the latest version of windows 10
    Yup, me too ;)
    The first Insider Previews had a lot of problems with the windows font cache (fonts were rendered false or even not rendered at all), but latest 10565 seems to work properly ;)
    At least here I can install all skins and all fonts are rendered correct now ;)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From your log:

[2015-10-17 17:26:11,528] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'font14' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,482] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'dingbats' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,482] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'dingbats' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,497] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'dingbats' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,638] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'font10' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,638] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'dingbats' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,638] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'dingbats' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,654] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'dingbats' does not exist
    [2015-10-17 17:26:16,654] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIFontManager: Font with the name 'dingbats' does not exist

Meaning that the fonts.xml in your Avalon folder do not reference the fonts named font14, font10, Dingbats etc. ;)
    Your log is full of those ;)

gaey

Portal Member
    August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes loads of fonts seem to be needed that are missing or corrupt. I am hoping that they are not needed by Avalon and I can just reinstall without a problem :(

gaey

Portal Member
    August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Reinstalled everything including MP. Almost back to as I had it before. A few problems here and there but nothing major.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Reinstalled everything including MP. Almost back to as I had it before. A few problems here and there but nothing major.
    I keep multiple bootable partitions on my OS disk, and it is my practice to copy my current "production" partition to my test partition before installing any new software into the test partition. Only after the new software has undergone extensive testing does the test partition become my new "production" partition.

If you don't have enough space on your OS disk to create multiple partitions, you could instead simply create an image of the C drive using appropriate software, and store that image on an external USB disk, available to restore at a moments notice if the new software buggers up messes up your system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

gaey

Portal Member
    August 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I keep multiple bootable partitions on my OS disk, and it is my practice to copy my current "production" partition to my test partition before installing any new software into the test partition. Only after the new software has undergone extensive testing does the test partition become my new "production" partition.

If you don't have enough space on your OS disk to create multiple partitions, you could instead simply create an image of the C drive using appropriate software, and store that image on an external USB disk, available to restore at a moments notice if the new software buggers up messes up your system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Great idea, I will look into it. What software do you use to create the new bootable partition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom