MePo 1.6 Final Crash on D3D.GetCapabilities() (1 Viewer)

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Hi guys,

My newly installed MePo 1.6 crashes on startup. Null Reference exception in D3D.GetCapabilities(). I had a look at the code, but could not understand what variable can be null. since most code is encapsulated in another try...catch, that does not print to the log.

History:
I just installed Win 7 on a new box, with a clean 1.6 installation. I also did not add any plugins (not even Lav and Titan Extended, during setup). After all the prerequisites was installed, I just opened MediaPortal, and then it opened the configuration, I chose "Save". Then ran MediaPortal again, and noticed nothing happened.

Motherboard: MSI P4M900M2-L
VGA: VIA P4M900 (Intergrated)
DirectX: 11 + 9.0c SDK (June2010)

Log is attached.

Please let me know if you need more information.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Bernard,

Not sure if your problem is equal to the reports in this thread, but the latest binaries for that issue can be found in this post.
    Your logs don't show:
    [ERROR] - D3D: Could not create device
    but it seems to fail almost directly after Init
    [2014-01-05 19:24:53,247] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - D3D: Client size: 1920x1080 - Screen: 1920x1080
    [2014-01-05 19:24:53,247] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - D3D: InitializeDevice()
    [2014-01-05 19:24:53,262] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - D3D: GetCapabilities()
    [2014-01-05 19:24:53,309] [Log ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for helping out. I tried the v14 assemblies but no luck. I do get a different experience, for what it's worth:

When I run MePo now, it actually shows the splash (this didn't show previously) with "Initializing DirectX...", at this point it just sits like that for a while. I killed MePo and noticed that the process went into a infinite loop now, you can see that in the log files because the same line is printed over and over.

[2014-01-05 21:45:18,444] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - D3D: Starting and find AdapterInfo exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at MediaPortal.D3D.Init()
    [2014-01-05 21:45:18,450] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - D3D: Starting and find AdapterInfo exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at MediaPortal.D3D.Init()

Also I see all other log line entries are gone, it is almost as if the original log file gets overridden the first time before it starts making sequence numbers... see the attached log file, it is no. 1 but it has none of the other entries in it... this is probably unrelated but I find it strange.

Other than that, the error reported is also less helpful compared to the old log output in my first post. I just mention this incase the v14 has changes to how and when log entries are generated.

Continuing with the problem:
    I have just checked DxDiag and when I ran it, it said I don't have Direct3D, but when I run the x64 bit version it does say that Direct3D is enabled. I'm not sure if this may be the problem, since MePo is 32bit? Can I install like a 32bit driver on Win7 x64, I have not tried something like this before...

Also a bit better specs is:
    VGA: VIA Chrome9 HC IGP WDDM 1.1 (link to VIA page p4m900)

Edit: Also note that I don't use some type of auto start. I'm manaully running MePo when everything has loaded. So I don't think this is something like a timing issue.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    For sure something is wrong on D3D side (this is stange).
    But good about the testing, i surely messing something, it should retry 20 times (Init) from my memory.

In this bin, adaptor can be null because D3D is not yet init (but seems to happen with MP start option that is not you case).

with this bin, it check for null value until it find one and with a hardcoded retry count value (20).

I have only one dxdiag it seems how did you see that is a 32 or 64 version ?

upload_2014-1-5_21-15-16.png

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    Hi Sebastiii,

Find new debug logs attached. Infinite loop is gone :)

DxDiag:
    This is how the "stock" DxDiag looks on my Win7 (notice the "Run 64-bit DxDiag" button):
    dxdiag.png

On the 32bit DxDiag, I see this on Display:
    dxdiag2.png

On x64 bit version I see this:
    dxdiag3.png

I did install the full DirectX 9.0c that was required (strange since I thought DirectX 11 would be fine...). But maybe I should install the full version of DirectX 11 as well, I'm saying full version because I'm not sure why I only have 4 tabs in DxDiag...

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok :)
    I didn't have this 64bit option on mine dxdiag lol
    You install MP from deploy tools right ? it should install eventual missing thing.

Thanks for log, now it should look like it should. But still didn't solve your issue :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom