MePo 1.6 Final Crash on D3D.GetCapabilities() (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Branch updated with the latest fix :)

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    @Sebastiii : Just an update!

I have tried to install and use Git. But it seems I will need to read up around Git to fully understand how it is used. I have solid knowledge of SVN. But Git uses a different concept in how they see a Repo and it's layout... Because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, or "unable to function in chaos". I need to understand it before I can tap it's potential. Not that it is specifically needed, but I can't concentrate if I don't KNOW I'm on the correct path.

Maybe you can help me with this: I tried to export a "Read/Write" copy from Git (using the wiki page). And I get an error that I think is because I don't have "write" rights to the repo. I could not find any indication that I needed some username or password, but I also don't know how I can have write access without any identification... I know I don't need R/W access, but I tried and it failed and I now want to understand why, since what I'm expecting and what I'm reading is not matching up... Maybe I can even update the wiki if their is some more info required on the subject of R/W clone.

In short, to export R/W do I need username and password?

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Yep only Dev status can have write access, i think user/pass is needed.
    So you can take the read only link and you can work on on your local repo and commit in your local repo and then create patch for it and i will able to push the change on github repo.

If later you get dev status, we only just have to change the link in your local repo and it will be updated so that's not a pb to get only read link.

The read, it means that you can't push to github repo but your can commit in your local repo :)

GIT works differently against SVN, on SVN when you commit, you need write access :)
    On GIT, when you commit, you commit only on your own repo and it's the push that update remote Github :)

So you can do what ever you like in your local repo, it will not touch remote repo :)

On Git, you will have all the branch in local repo and you can swith on another branch easily, commit your change, back to another branch etc. and you push when needed (for now you can't push because you have no right for this).

Seb.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    @Sebastiii you are very kind to explain so much! Using Git is really out of scope of any MePo Dev's support requirements for the greater good of the project!

The read, it means that you can't push to github repo but your can commit in your local repo :)

You see this is a notable difference (that require a mindset change!); The fact that you will always have, and only need, full "commit" rights to your own local Repo copy. And the other notable difference is the fact that you have a fully functional local Repo copy, that allows repeated local change commits.

This is probably "the" feature difference from SVN. And only this can be a convincing argument why any large Open Source project (like MePo) should be on Git rather than SVN.

Thanks, I will try again.

joit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have the same problem ("Direct3D device could not be created" if I autostart MP with Windows). Delaying the start doesn't help.
    Any tips?

Thanks
    Hannes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom