mini-distro with integrated MP ? (1 Viewer)

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
First, I never used MP, so it is just a question somebody maybe already thougt of.

To install MP you first have to install a windows-version, right? Every time you start your HTPC you first have to wait till windows finished to boot.

Wouldn`t it be better to have only a small distribution with a fast boot-time? (like linVDR)

I know that my solution is far away from present, but have you heard of ReactOS? (www.reactos.com). Maybe in future it would be possible to create a distribution based on Reactos to have a really free and open source HTPC.

Would this be possible.:D
(hope you understand my english)

|Lars|

Portal Member
September 21, 2004
Germany
sylvio2000 said:
I know that my solution is far away from present, but have you heard of ReactOS? (www.reactos.com). Maybe in future it would be possible to create a distribution based on Reactos to have a really free and open source HTPC.

Would this be possible.:D
(hope you understand my english)
Nope it would not... (as long as MP uses .NET and Direct X).

CU

Lars

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
Why not?
I know ReactOS is in alpha-status, but in the future i think directX and .NET will be supported.

I know that directX will be supported, but I am not sure about .NET

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    MP relies haeavily on things like
    - direxctx 9c
    - Device drivers of TV-cards
    - device drivers of graphics card's
    - Mediaplayer
    - .NET

... All these technologies make it much easier to write applications like MP. If you want to port MP to other OS (like reactos) sources are there, nobody will stop you to try. Requirements are there for reason and development will be based on those requirements, so is support. But no one will stop you if you try to run MP on OS like reactos.

You could find posts on this forum from people who has made XP boot so fast that they shut down their HTPC instead of suspend. That is because their HTPC has fastrer boot than wakeup. Mine HTPC is on allways so no need to boot.

CoolHammer

PS: If you really manage run succesfully MP on plattform like reactos let me know. It sure would be king of hacks.

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ Coolhammer
    Mmmh, that sounds bad :(
    But ReactOS should be compatible with 2000/XP so I think it would somewhen work on it.
    We will see (but it would be great) :D
    I cant test MP on ReactOS. I do not even have a HTPC. It was just an idea.

@ X4
    try nlite http://nuhi.msfn.org/

I think it is better to clean up your windows before installing it.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Problems like nLite to cut down on installed programs/services do cause problems so watch what you remove. We've seen it before and its been simple things like not installing Task Scheduler and they ended up having to format because we couldnt find out what else was missing.

Incognito

Portal Member
    March 7, 2006
    Ok i ahev .NET 1.1 sorted and Direct X sorted just still having trouble, anyone done this before?
    Many Thanks

Regards Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom