Mintaining folder structure possible? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by Psycho Reptile, August 26, 2008.

1. papas
    • Premium Supporter

papas MP Donator

web developer
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Home Country:
    Cyprus Cyprus
    maybe one solution for the HD files is by using the mediainfo like tv series does.
    although tv series uses it for other purposes for logo display etc.

maybe by this way you can do some filtering also along with genre etc.
    just an idea.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mortstar
    • Premium Supporter

mortstar MP Donator

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    +1

Basically it seems that the 'Power User' filtering is equivalent to Smart Playlists in iTunes, allowing any number of criteria to be applied to create a list of matching films.

I'd love to see an implementation of mediainfo.dll + logos similar to TVseries - basically so a HD movie could have a funky 'HD' logo stamped in the corner of the movie poster.

4. Psycho Reptile
    • Premium Supporter

Psycho Reptile Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +783 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    +2, now that's an idea I like :D

5. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Yeah that's what I had in mind with the advanced filters I was talking about. The iTunes analogy is good, but think grouping of "Smart Playlists". And to whoever asked, yes mediainfo.dll support is comming and you would be able to filter by that too. For example, based on screen resolution (HD Movies, Standard Def Movies). Mediainfo.dll will be implemented after filtering though.

As far as the name "Filters", sure we could change it. I think "View" is a little confusing though, the different facade modes are called views already pretty much across all of MediaPortal. I may keep the name Filter and just have a header that says "Browse" in the GUI. Or something similar.

You say Lists are not that user friendly. I assume you are meaning the GUIListControl? The list normally used to search through movies or music or whatever? With the side popout thing I had in mind it could be implemented via a series of buttons I suppose, but what is wrong with lists?

6. digitalfm

digitalfm Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I agree, a shares filter would be nice and easy to manage. Just drop the file in the right folder and it appears under that filter in MP. This would be more user friendly than having to apply a category entry for each film you add.

Think that's +3!

7. dA.oOZe

dA.oOZe Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Views (or however they are called) using a database-powered filter would be fantastic! If filenames and paths are also stored in the database, one could defined a filter like "MoviePath"="D:\Movies\Action" and get all movies stored in that path.

For others (like me), who keep their whole movies in one folder (with subfolders per movie) it would be much better to define more complex filters. For example, I'd like to have a movie appear in two different views, "action" and "cartoons" for example. When just using a folder-driven filter, that would be impossible.

Maybe you could do the filter something like SQL style. As everything is stored in the database already, that would be the most powerful solution.

Can't wait to get my hands on filtering ;)

8. Stokkes

Stokkes Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    I agree. I also have all my movies on a remote share M:\Movies and one subfolder per movie. I know everyone organizes things differently so it's important to try and please as many people as possible. Filtering based on metadata from Mediainfo.dll and IMDB (ie: genre, etc.) is a fantastic idea.

9. mirk
    • Premium Supporter

mirk Retired Team Member

Technical engineer
    Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    + 4

10. Darre

Darre Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Excactly what I asked for 4 posts above yours :p

But if I werent clear: +5

11. piranha
    • Premium Supporter

piranha MP Donator

Ratings:
    +10 / 0

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!