Mintaining folder structure possible? (1 Viewer)

papas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    maybe one solution for the HD files is by using the mediainfo like tv series does.
    although tv series uses it for other purposes for logo display etc.

maybe by this way you can do some filtering also along with genre etc.
    just an idea.

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Would it be possible to add a filter "folders"? To group movies by their physical location, which is specified in the config utility.
    And maybe let the user assign an alias to each physical location (to use with the UI).

So if I would specify this in the config util:
    D:\Movies [alias: HD Movies]
    E:\Movies [alias: SD Movies]
    I would see this in the UI (if filtered by folder):
    - HD Movies (shows all movies in D:\Movies and its sub directories)
    - SD Movies (shows all movies in E:\Movies and its sub directories)

Like shares view in MyVideos, but database powered :)

+1

Basically it seems that the 'Power User' filtering is equivalent to Smart Playlists in iTunes, allowing any number of criteria to be applied to create a list of matching films.

maybe one solution for the HD files is by using the mediainfo like tv series does.
    although tv series uses it for other purposes for logo display etc.

maybe by this way you can do some filtering also along with genre etc.
    just an idea.

I'd love to see an implementation of mediainfo.dll + logos similar to TVseries - basically so a HD movie could have a funky 'HD' logo stamped in the corner of the movie poster.

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Would it be possible to add a filter "folders"? To group movies by their physical location, which is specified in the config utility.
    And maybe let the user assign an alias to each physical location (to use with the UI).

+2, now that's an idea I like :D

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yeah that's what I had in mind with the advanced filters I was talking about. The iTunes analogy is good, but think grouping of "Smart Playlists". And to whoever asked, yes mediainfo.dll support is comming and you would be able to filter by that too. For example, based on screen resolution (HD Movies, Standard Def Movies). Mediainfo.dll will be implemented after filtering though.

When you click Genre from the filters list, it changes to a list of all your available genres. Action, Adventure, Horror, Sci-Fi, etc. You click one and your on screen list filters by your selection.

Generally I would go away from something so abstract as filter. First of all I would call it view (you want it user friendly?).
    I would also go for remembering which view is currently used (perhaps per user), and always start with that view.
    Other than than, the user needs quick way of switching them, probably via Popup menu. List is not that user friendly really but can be there as alternative.
    Please do not forget ability to attach a PIN to a particular view/filter, so it could be only viewed after PIN has been entered.

As far as the name "Filters", sure we could change it. I think "View" is a little confusing though, the different facade modes are called views already pretty much across all of MediaPortal. I may keep the name Filter and just have a header that says "Browse" in the GUI. Or something similar.

You say Lists are not that user friendly. I assume you are meaning the GUIListControl? The list normally used to search through movies or music or whatever? With the side popout thing I had in mind it could be implemented via a series of buttons I suppose, but what is wrong with lists?

digitalfm

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2008

+2, now that's an idea I like :D
    I agree, a shares filter would be nice and easy to manage. Just drop the file in the right folder and it appears under that filter in MP. This would be more user friendly than having to apply a category entry for each film you add.

Think that's +3!

dA.oOZe

Portal Pro
    February 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Views (or however they are called) using a database-powered filter would be fantastic! If filenames and paths are also stored in the database, one could defined a filter like "MoviePath"="D:\Movies\Action" and get all movies stored in that path.

For others (like me), who keep their whole movies in one folder (with subfolders per movie) it would be much better to define more complex filters. For example, I'd like to have a movie appear in two different views, "action" and "cartoons" for example. When just using a folder-driven filter, that would be impossible.

Maybe you could do the filter something like SQL style. As everything is stored in the database already, that would be the most powerful solution.

Can't wait to get my hands on filtering ;)

Stokkes

Portal Member
    November 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Views (or however they are called) using a database-powered filter would be fantastic! If filenames and paths are also stored in the database, one could defined a filter like "MoviePath"="D:\Movies\Action" and get all movies stored in that path.

For others (like me), who keep their whole movies in one folder (with subfolders per movie) it would be much better to define more complex filters. For example, I'd like to have a movie appear in two different views, "action" and "cartoons" for example. When just using a folder-driven filter, that would be impossible.

Maybe you could do the filter something like SQL style. As everything is stored in the database already, that would be the most powerful solution.

Can't wait to get my hands on filtering ;)

I agree. I also have all my movies on a remote share M:\Movies and one subfolder per movie. I know everyone organizes things differently so it's important to try and please as many people as possible. Filtering based on metadata from Mediainfo.dll and IMDB (ie: genre, etc.) is a fantastic idea.

mirk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2006
    Växjö, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

+ 4

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    What would even be better would be a DB structure thats able to read and copy folder structure so that you get the same structure as your folders, but youre actually reading from a DB (waaaay less lag)

Excactly what I asked for 4 posts above yours :p

But if I werent clear: +5

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom