Missing channels after rebuild (all on one MUX ?) (1 Viewer)

Paul F

Portal Member
April 11, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I recently had to rebuild my mediacenter running mediaportal 2.2.2 because of an SSD failure. This has all worked perfectly except that I now have some missing channels (BBC1, BB2, ITV1, C4 for example) but I have 'all' the other channels working perfectly (65 other channels in total) - all with a strong signal / no distortion of picture.

I have tried:
  • retuning many time (on both USB tuner dongles)
  • installing 2.2.3 - same issue
  • uninstalling 2.2.3 and installing 2.2.2 again - same issue - all works perfectly except for BBC1 etc
  • tuning 'all regions' this did give a very poor BBC1 (north east) but I suspect this is overspill from another transmitter (see below0
It is strange because I have never had a signal problem and I can run the 'TV app' that comes with the USB dongles and it tunes into BBC1, BB" etc fine no problem at all - so I don't think its the dongle or the driver (I have also tried different versions of the driver just to be sure)

I searched in the forum for similar problems and saw that maybe this is a tuning configuration issue? - also because they all seem to be on the same MUX (but at this level im a bit lost)

I ran the 'ScanChannelsBDA_UK' app that was posted on the forum and this seems to pick up the missing channels on 618MHz and MUX1 no problem - but they wont detect when I run the TV config scan function.

Can someone please suggest what to try next.

Many thanks
Paul

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I ran the 'ScanChannelsBDA_UK' app that was posted on the forum and this seems to pick up the missing channels on 618MHz and MUX1 no problem
    tuning 'all regions' this did give a very poor BBC1 (north east) but I suspect this is overspill from another transmitter
    On the "TV Channels" panel in "TV Server Config", select the poor quality "BBC1" channel and then click the "Edit" button. It should display the frequency of the channel. Is it 618MHz or some other frequency?

To speed up scanning, TV Server uses a "tuning parameters" file that defines the MUXes that TV Server should try to receive. There was a "retune event" in the UK this week, and some channels, MUXes, and/or frequencies changed in some parts of the country. If they changed in your area, MP's tuning-parameters file will be out of date, so MP will still look for the old MUXes, but one or more of those MUXes may have changed frequency.

It is a bit puzzling that selecting "All regions" did not find the correct "BBC1" MUX. If the "ScanChannels" tool can find that MUX, TV Server should be able to find it too when scanning "All regions".

I don't really have an idea what the problem might be, but my suggestion is to:

(1) Delete all TV channels and radio channels in "TV Server Config".
    (2) Select "All regions" and scan again.

Note that (1) will cause your recording schedule to be deleted, so you might want to export it first, so that it can be imported later (I am not actually sure that this will work after a rescan, but it might do).

The reason for performing (1) is that I think that uninstalling and re-installing MP2 does not delete any of the databases, so if your TV channels database was in a weird state, it would still be in a weird state after re-installing MP2. Hence the suggestion to delete all of the channels before performing a rescan. (Note: normally you should not delete the existing channels before performing a scan, but this seems to be an exceptional case.)

You might also want to use the freeview.co.uk web site to check which MUXes you should be receiving. Enter your postcode, click "Check", and then on the next page scroll down and click "Detailed view". The detailed view shows the UHF channels numbers of the MUXes, but irritatingly does not show the frequencies (somewhere on the internet there must be a table that maps UHF channel number to frequencies).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Paul F

Portal Member
    April 11, 2019
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

THANKS!!!! deleting the channels then doing an 'all regions' scan has fixed it :)

I had retuned many time before that without success so I think it was deleting the old channels that was different this time.

Thanks again for the very clear and detailed suggestions and quick response.

Regards
    Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom