Missing Some UK Channels (Quest & Quest Red) (1 Viewer)

T.J

Portal Member
August 2, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place... I was using DJBlu's Sky grabber but have disabled it due to the recent changes breaking it :-( Everything is working properly using EPG Collector and manually organizing groups but I'm missing the following channels:

Quest
Quest +1
Quest Red
Quest Red +1

I've tried re scanning for channels a few times and it simply wont find them, it does however find other channels on the same frequency. Can anyone else the UK confirm if they are available or not?

I did try manually adding them but have been struggling to find / enter the correct tuning details :-(

Many thanks

T.J

Portal Member
August 2, 2013
Home Country
Quick update, managed to figure out the tuning details and added the channels manually :) Still not sure why TV Server didn't find them as EPG Collector can see them / their EPG.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV Server doesn't automatically rename or renumber channels [to preserve user preferences]. So, if you had existing channels with the same identifiers (ONID, TSID, SID) but different names, TV Server would have:
    1. Found the Quest channels in the scan.
    2. Checked the database for existing channels with the same identifiers.
    3. Found the existing channels with different names.
    4. Moved on without updating the names to "Quest...".

T.J

Portal Member
    August 2, 2013
    Home Country
    TV Server doesn't automatically rename or renumber channels [to preserve user preferences]. So, if you had existing channels with the same identifiers (ONID, TSID, SID) but different names, TV Server would have:
    1. Found the Quest channels in the scan.
    2. Checked the database for existing channels with the same identifiers.
    3. Found the existing channels with different names.
    4. Moved on without updating the names to "Quest...".

Thanks for the feedback - makes sense although I deleted all of the channels when disabling the Sky plugin and after running a couple of scans checked the database for anything with the "missing" SIDs and there was nothing there - either way its working but having looked at the EPG there doesn't seem to much worth watching on them anyway lol.

Hairysoundman

Portal Member
    April 25, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Quick update, managed to figure out the tuning details and added the channels manually :) Still not sure why TV Server didn't find them as EPG Collector can see them / their EPG.

Hi. How did you add the channels manually? On my MP2 setup, every single Freesat channel is displayed as "10000". How does one access the database?

I've looked in "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Databases" but there are not databases to be found. I think this might be because I'm using MP2 and the advice given here - View Databases does not seem to tally with my install.

upload_2018-4-25_7-55-56.png

upload_2018-4-25_9-38-8.png

There is no "Team MediaPortal" folder in my "Program Files" folder, only in my "Program Files (x86)" folder.

Where do I find this database, so I can refresh it, so that my MP2 will see the Quest channels? Alternatively, is there any way MP2 can display the actual channel numbers, rather than helpfully (not) labeling them ALL "10000"?

I wouldn't normally watch Quest, but my wife is nagging at me as she can get Animal Planet content via Quest.

I would further add, that as I only installed my Freesat tuner in March (almost a year after Quest was launched on Freesat), I am confused as to why the TV Server would have thought there was an already existing channel with the same ID. Is this possibly to do with the same bug that causes every channel to be displayed as number 10000?

Last edited:

T.J

Portal Member
    August 2, 2013
    Home Country
    @Hairysoundman - I'm still on MP1 so it may be different for MP2 but i did it this way.... In the TV Server Configuration program there is a tab where you can view all the channels and channel groups, on the main / default group that lists every channel stored there's an button that allows you to manually enter the tuning details for "new" channel.

Add or Edit a Channel

Above is the wiki page that shows some screen grabs / goes into more details

I used Online Satellite Calculations to get the actual tuning data, about halfway down the page there are links to the Sky UK and Freesat channels - rather interestingly if you compare the Sky (not scrambled) channel list to the Freesat one there are more FTA channels shown on the Sky listing, guess this is channels that for whatever reason are not on the Freesat EPG but can still be viewed using a generic receiver.

Hairysoundman

Portal Member
    April 25, 2018
    Home Country
    I think I might roll back to MP1. I installed MP2 as MP1 was having serious issues with my new DVB-S tuner for some reason and utterly failing to harvest the EPG. I'm getting some playback issues with MP2 as well - randomly juddery, especially if there are rapid cuts and lots of panning.

Hairysoundman

Portal Member
    April 25, 2018
    Home Country
    OK, I uninstalled MP2 and installed the latest MP1. I did a fresh scan and my TBS Twin DVB-S2 tuners still didn't pick up Quest.

So, I looked up the Online Satellite Calculations site
    upload_2018-5-6_10-18-45.png

upload_2018-5-6_10-19-41.png

and got the tuning details and entered them thus -

upload_2018-5-6_10-21-29.png

I've managed to work out most of which values equate to which settings in MP, but am stuck with two of them - the Pilot and the PMT PID.

With my current settings, if I try to preview the channel, I get this -

upload_2018-5-6_10-23-41.png

@T.J - Could you post a screengrab of your tuning settings please?

I keep hitting an impasse here. Going back to MP1 from MP2 has solved two issues - juddery playback and crashing when using subtitles, but I still can't get it to find Quest.

Also it's missing BBC Four for some reason.

I keep looking for the database that is mentioned by @mm1352000 to attempt to clear the erroneous channels so that the TV server can actually see BBC Four and Quest. Is there any way to completely reset the TV Server tuning scan, so that it wipes the slate clean and builds its database fresh?

Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-6_10-13-36.png
      upload_2018-5-6_10-13-36.png
      121.1 KB
    • upload_2018-5-6_10-14-21.png
      upload_2018-5-6_10-14-21.png
      24.2 KB

Hairysoundman

Portal Member
    April 25, 2018
    Home Country
    Just realised the fundamental error I made of not noticing the "KHz" in the frequency box and have now added three zeros, which sorts that aspect. I also swapped the PMT PID and Network ID values. It's now working.

However, it still doesn't explain why after a clean install, MP TV Server ignored both the Quest channels and now also BBC Four and BBC Four HD.

Any comment from anyone at MP please? Any easy way to totally reset the channels database?

Thanks.

T.J

Portal Member
    August 2, 2013
    Home Country
    @Hairysoundman
    Not sure on BBC 4 as dont really watch live TV much but attached are the tuning details for Quest / Quest Red and the +1's - hope that helps :)

**EDIT**

Opps, just seen your post but may help anyone else missing those channels.

Attachments

• Quest.jpg
      Quest.jpg
      36.3 KB
    • Quest Plus 1.jpg
      Quest Plus 1.jpg
      41.6 KB
    • Quest Red.jpg
      Quest Red.jpg
      36.3 KB
    • Quest Red Plus 1.jpg
      Quest Red Plus 1.jpg