mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Folks,
    since I moved from the Linux Dbox to Mediaportal in January , I missed one functionality - to view my mail in my living room with MediaPortal and leave the mails on the mail server for further use on other computers. The IMAP Mail Protocol is able to do this. I wrote a plugin and the result is MkMail.
    If you have the same needs, feel free to try this out.

Main Features:
    - show list of your mails from multiple accounts
    - show the content of the mail ( html parts of the mails are not shown)
    - delete mails from server
    - automatic Mail update
    - SSL Connections supported
    - Notification on new mail

Dokumentation of the Plugin:
    MkMail - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

Newest Download:
    MEDIAPORTAL - free media center - MkMail

Newest Version:
    V0.7.0 from Sept 29th 2009

Known Issues:
    - Notification also appears with the first update after deleting a mail
    - Configuration directly from MP extension Installer doesn't work.

Sources
    MkMail Sources

Licence
    This Program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.
    The program uses Imap Library from Rohit Joshi that is published under the MPL (Mozilla Public Licence). Thanks Joshi, cool stuff. Worked well.

If there are problems with the plugin, just post in this thread. Please don't get nervous, if my reply takes time. I do this in my poor time left after work.
    I'm a native German, so you can write your post as well in german language.

Have fun
    mannmanny

mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi andreyua,
    after asking google I found out that gmail uses ssl authentification for imap. This is not supported by MkMail in this version. Sorry that I forgot to mention this in my description. This is maybe something for the next version.
    Sorry MK

urev

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 7, 2005
    Germany
    very usefull plugin, but there is still a lot to do.
    - Why reload every 10 min. the mails allthough I am watching videos? Would make more sense to reload the mails when I look into my mailbox. But: I you want to show a small icon within mediaportal indicating new mails, a reload makes sense.
    - SSL is a must
    - Passwords cannot be shown and saved in plain text.
    - Text of messages is not shown, only the header.
    - Timestamp of mails is not shown.

But this plugin has a lot potential! Keep up the good work!!!
    bye, urev

mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi urev,
    thx for feedback.
    1. The plugin only realoads the headers every 10 min. and this only if there are new mails or mail have to be deleted. This keeps the list of Mails up to date, and you do not have to wait for the update. About indicating new mails - I don't like this while watching videos or films, so it had not the highest prio.
    2. You are right with SSL - to be done
    3. Password in plain text - to be done
    4. should work, except html Mails
    5. to be done

mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi folks,
    you can download a new version of MkMail ( V 0.6.0 ). Just follow the link in the first post.

New features:
    - also works with SSL Connections ( e.g. Gmail )
    - hide password in Setup
    - store password encryped in configuration

Remark: If you have installed the Version 0.5.0 you have to reenter the configuration parameters

fixed bugs:
    - not showing the mail and the date for several mail providers

The plugin works for me with 1&1 and Gmail. It would be good to have your feedback, if the plugin works with other mail providers or not. I can add this information to the documentation for others, and try to fix problems.

urev,
    urev, could you check out wether the new version works for you. I had the same problems with Gmail, after SSL was working. I think it was the same problem you descibed. thx

Have fun
    mannmanny

mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi andeyua,
    your right. I'm working on universial character sets. In V 0.6.0 only utf-8 and iso-8859-1 works correctly. It would be good for me to have one or two russian mail for testing reasons. Could you send it to my mail mk@die5kraemers.de
    thx mannmanny

mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi andeyua,
    thx for the mails. I put a trial Version that should be working with all encodings windows knows, on my homepage. It seems to work with your mails, but it's hard for me to really approve that ( no russian :))).
    The trial version of the MkMail.dll is on my hompage in the download section
    If you would like to try it out for me, just copy the dll to the plugins\window folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom