MkMail - An Imap Mail Viewer (1 Viewer)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    mannmanny: Is it possible to combine imap and pop3 support. I know imap is better, have used it before, but most providers here in Holland use pop3. And because of the fact that other mail plugins are realy dead maybe you can fill the gap others left behind. Would be realy appriciated. :)

mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The normal way pop3 works is that the client downloads the mails to the client. THis raises a lot of questions:
    1. In which format should the mail be tored at the client, an what would You do with this mails at the client
    2. Using my own format means that you could not use the mail with other clients and I have to imlement a comlete E-Mail client with functions like repy, forward, end, ....( not just a viewer ). Everything has to work with the special MP GUI and the remote :-((( For me that doesn't make sence. Every pecialized mail client would be better.
    3. Using microsofts msg format would be an other alternative ( the outlook plugin does this). But this is not an open or published format.
    4. Using an open mail format means you have to import/export the mails from MKMail to your Mail client, what means two storages, and a lot of handling penalties.

As you see there is no really good solution for that, besides implementing a complete Mail-Client like Outlook(express) in MP. And be honest - if you realy want to work with emails, isn't it better to stop MP and start a dedicated email client.
    mannmanny

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The normal way pop3 works is that the client downloads the mails to the client. THis raises a lot of questions:
    1. In which format should the mail be tored at the client, an what would You do with this mails at the client
    2. Using my own format means that you could not use the mail with other clients and I have to imlement a comlete E-Mail client with functions like repy, forward, end, ....( not just a viewer ). Everything has to work with the special MP GUI and the remote :-((( For me that doesn't make sence. Every pecialized mail client would be better.
    3. Using microsofts msg format would be an other alternative ( the outlook plugin does this). But this is not an open or published format.
    4. Using an open mail format means you have to import/export the mails from MKMail to your Mail client, what means two storages, and a lot of handling penalties.

As you see there is no really good solution for that, besides implementing a complete Mail-Client like Outlook(express) in MP. And be honest - if you realy want to work with emails, isn't it better to stop MP and start a dedicated email client.
    mannmanny

Hi mannmanny, i think what you mean is a lot of work....BUT....if i use webmail every message stays at the server. And it's not downloaded. It's only downloaded by Outlook, and in that case you can also leave a copy at the server.
    My intention is not to make it too complicated. Just reading mail on the server is enough. Just watching TV, get a popup or overlay that there is mail, and a possibility to read them.

mannmanny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2008
    Wendelstein, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

mannmanny

Hi mannmanny, i think what you mean is a lot of work....BUT....if i use webmail every message stays at the server. And it's not downloaded. It's only downloaded by Outlook, and in that case you can also leave a copy at the server.
    My intention is not to make it too complicated. Just reading mail on the server is enough. Just watching TV, get a popup or overlay that there is mail, and a possibility to read them.

I'll read the newest pop3 specifications, to find out how this works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom