Tools and other software MkvTagger: Edit tags MKV tags (incl. MP-TVSeries, TheTvDB.com, TheMovieDB, MusicVideos ...) (2 Viewers)

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, does not work with recorded video files encoded and saved to MKV container. Even not when I try it fifteen times in a row or rename the MKV file or move it to the harddisk's root folder. For verification I tried it with MKV files which I did not encode myself. And there it works flawlessly. Data get saved into the MKV file. I have run out of tricks now.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have you tried to remuxx a recorded file with MKVMergeGUI? If you can't get a file tagged after some tries then the file probably is damaged somehow. MKVPropedit which is used from within MKVTagger is more critical than MKVMerge (but a lot faster) so some small errors or glitches can spoil your work.
    Can you post your XMediaRecode Settings? I'm using this since ages and never had any trouble with (mkv-) files created by XmediaRecode... If I got such issues, the files are always downloaded, never encoded myself.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure here are my configuration files for XMR. Using XMR for two years now. Just recently I started to get interested in tagging MKV files.

My standard approach is:
    1. Cleaning the recorded .ts with TS-Doctor.
    2. Cutting the cleaned file with SmartCutter. Getting rid of material recorded before and after the movie/series and commercials.
    3. Re-encoding with XMediaRecode using the atttached settings depending on the source format.

I do not need MKVMergeGUI or other software. Everything is o.k. I never have problems with my files. They all play flawlessly.

Attachments

• xmr-settings.7z
      1.3 KB

Diane1662

April 6, 2014
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hello!
    Thanks for developing this tool. I have just downloaded it and I can't seem to be able to enter a XML file title, which means I cannot see or edit an existing XML file. Could somebody give me a clue as to why it is does not work properly? I am thinking I may have installed the program incorrectly: if so, how should I have proceeded (I just saved the files in my Program Files directory)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

C

Comminup

Having some issues with tagging my mkv's. I follow the steps for the tv series section and once the xml is made it does not contain any information within it. How do I go about having the file name of my mkv become the title/tag of the mkv?

N

ndjamena

Sorry, does not work with recorded video files encoded and saved to MKV container. Even not when I try it fifteen times in a row or rename the MKV file or move it to the harddisk's root folder. For verification I tried it with MKV files which I did not encode myself. And there it works flawlessly. Data get saved into the MKV file. I have run out of tricks now.

Do your files contain enough room in the forward headers to add a pointer? MKVPropEdit will add the Tags to the end of the file and add a pointer to the tags to the forward headers. If there's not enough Void space to insert the pointer there's not much MKVPropEdit can do. A pointer requires at least 17 Bytes. To check, load one of your files into MKVInfoGUI and check the area up to the first cluster (the point where MKVInfo stops by default) for void elements.

Having some issues with tagging my mkv's. I follow the steps for the tv series section and once the xml is made it does not contain any information within it. How do I go about having the file name of my mkv become the title/tag of the mkv?

How are you determining this? There is a bug in MediaInfo at the moment where it will not follow a pointer to a seek header located at the end of a file. The first time you enter tags into an MKV with MKVPropEdit it will enter the Tags with this configuration, if you write the Tags in again, it will shift the pointer to the tags to the beginning of the file and they should become visible to MediaInfo. This is a problem with MediaInfo, I think VLC will show whatever tags it's capable of showing without the second pass.

ndjamena

May 27, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've been thinking. I'm pretty sure you're both complaining about the same issue. Whatever program you're using doesn't follow pointers to seek headers. Given the site this forum is on, I can make guesses to what that program is. Anyway, I'll assume there's not enough room in the first poster's MKV's forward headers to hold a complete Seek Header, so rather than move the track header or chapters to the end of the file MKVPropEdit sticks to a single pointer in the forward headers pointing to a full seek header at the end of the file, the program doesn't follow the pointer, so doesn't find the Seek Header, and therefore doesn't find the tags.

The second poster either has the exact same problem as the first poster, or the problem I mentioned before, which has the same cause in any case.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused as to where my first account went, either it was temporary or someone deleted it. Just to be on the safe side, I'll go find another way to Tag my MKVs.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great Tool. Thanks

Can we embed images?
    Is there a standard for this?

ps. This is a scary tool if you have 14 TB of media, and there was a bug in the process :)

Thoughts:
    If this gets integrated into MP2, I would hope there is a way of only processing the files manually for people who use a snapshop raid system, otherwise their raid backup would have become out of date everytime the mkv tags were modded.

ndjamena

May 27, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, images can be embedded as attachments. You can even specify images for Show, Season and Episode if you like using the TagAttachmentUID element in the respective tags.
    They should have 'Cover.jpg' as a file name but you can add whatever you like to the description.

It's all here:
    http://matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html
    http://matroska.org/technical/cover_art/index.html
    http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvpropedit.html

-Edit- I guess I should point out that Attachments have UIDs, most people miss that. Until recently there was no way of determining an attachments UID short of doing a full pass-through of a file using MKVInfo. Very recent versions of MKVMerge using the -I switch now output the UID of Attachments. You're welcome. I'm still waiting to see if I can get Mosu to allow the Attachment UIDs to be set using MKVPropEdit, or set while being added, or set at all for that matter. For now you'll just have to put up with random numbers, and you'll have to add the images, get the UIDs from the file, and only then write in the Tags with UIDs.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It will be nice when torrents come with tagged mkvs including images. Hopefully that will come in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom