More or less regular stutter in live TV and recorded TV (setup of MP TV Backend on VM) (1 Viewer)

astronaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi everybody,

after recently setting up a Xen hypervisor with MediaPortal 1 TV Backend on Windows Server 2012 as a virtual machine (PCI passthrough of TV card Hauppauge HVR 2205), I am getting stuttering TV playback on all my frontends. The hardware should in principle be capable of performing the task (32 GB RAM, Intel Xeon processor). I am quite sure of this because with Windows Server 2012 as the physical system (not in a VM), MediaPortal TV server worked fine. Also, with VDR as a backend on a VM, there is no noticable stutter in a Kodi frontend.

I suspect from TSReader.log that there is an increasing lag between image and audio which after some time is corrected via a short timeshift, but I might be wrong. I know that in my setup, there are a lot of different error sources (VM setup, network, etc.), but perhaps somebody more knowledgable would be so kind and have a look into the logfiles to help me find the cause of this stutter? A test with stutter happened between timestamp 14:49 and 14:51, roughly.

BTW, the link to the system specs page https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/account/systemspecs does not work. If you need more information on my system, please let me know.

Best regards,

Paul

Attachments

• TsWriter.log
      25.3 KB
    • TsReader.log
      82.2 KB
    • evr.log
      25.2 KB
    • AresLog.txt
      4.6 KB
    • MediaPortal.log
      122.2 KB
    • MediaPortal-Error.log
      381 bytes
    • TVService.log
      90.6 KB

astronaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi again,

It seems that I got rid of the stutter. What has helped (once again, as this solved similar issues in the past, if I remember correctly) was to set the TV Client folders for recordings and for timeshifting to a UNC path. Changing the path on the TVServer was not straighforward, as I wanted to write to a network share (I didn't want to share data from the VM storage container where the TVServer is running). What helped was morpheus_xx's post Configuring TV Server to use NAS and some trial and error with MySQL Workbench. Of course, TVService has to be started as a user with writing rights on the share.

For now, things seem to be stable. Let's wait and see...

Best regards,

Paul

Edit: For future reference: What helped me on the right track was to copy a TV recording on the network share and start it from there manually. The stuttering was gone, hence I suspected that the stutter was not due to a driver issue.

astronaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    FYI: I now got TV Server running also under Windows system user while being able to write to a network share (this means without having to start the service as a different user). The reason for me trying this out was that using the "different user for service" approach, there was one minor issue where TV Service could not write to the network share after rebooting the TV server machine - after restarting the service manually, everything worked fine.

The trick in a domain environment is to give a user COMPUTERNAME$ access to the network share, where COMPUTERNAME is the name of the computer TV Server is running on. More information can be found on How to grant network access to LocalSystem account?.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom