Motherboard selection

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by ronaldus, August 29, 2005.

1. ronaldus

ronaldus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi

I am going to build an new htpc.

I already have
    samsung hd
    hauppauge 150
    saphire radeon 256 mb
    samsung dvd player.

I am looking for a motherboard with a processor (AMD). For me it is important that the rc and the s3 function is working. Do you have some good results with any motherboard, please let me know

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Callifo
    • Premium Supporter

Callifo Retired Team Member

Student
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    Ive got a Abit NF7-S V2, which after patching works fine with this setup.

If you look at Intel though my Albatron PX865PE Pro II leaves the USB on 24/7 even when the computer is switched off :shock: I have a usb fan and unless I unplug it, the thing never switches off. Wonder if that would allow me to switch the pc on by remote then.

4. Marcusb
    • Premium Supporter

Marcusb Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    I use this for my HTPC setup:
    http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_..._code]=MB-ALKM18GPROV2&input[category_id]=202

It's small, works well and has lots of onboard features. It has no issues shutting down my PC and waking it up again via USB and my MCE remote (although my compro tuner cards don't like this much but that is their issue). Bear in mind that the built in graphics doesn't have hardware DX9 support so MP may run slow if you try to do too many things using only the onboard graphics. I ended up adding in a GF5200.

Otherwise, if you want to go AMD 939 rather than Socket A then this is what I am looking at for my next upgrade: http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.php?art_no=mbJEja210gdms_pro
    It seems much better than the MSI version, as it has the dedicated onboard memory for video and also supports AMD cool 'n' quiet which in my eyes is a must have for HTPC. I'm keen to find out more about it but there aren't too many reviews and the Jetway website is *very* hard to get around.

5. twim

twim New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm very happy with my new HTPC hardware (see my signature).
    The new AMD architecture is great, the CPU runs very cool and doesn't cost too much.
    There is also an ASUS A8N motherboard without SLI.

6. ronaldus

ronaldus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    twim

wahat are your experience with the standby function of the motherboard?

7. dman_lfc
    • Premium Supporter

dman_lfc Retired Team Member

Sales Manager
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just FYI - forced standby in MP does not work great as the TV cards don't get re-initialized until you exit then re-enter MP - hence the standby option exits MP or use Fred's plugin which deals with the card issue.

DMAN

8. scottb721

scottb721 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Marcus,
    I saw your post above about your Albatron motherboard.
    I was thinking of getting this exact MB because of it's onboard TV Out to keep initial costs down.

My HTPC would only be used for watching/recording and playback to SD digital tv using just the TV Out port.
    For DVD movie playback I'd just stick to using my regular Pioneer DVD player.
    With this in mind would you still recommend the MB without a AGP card ?
    Gamedude has them for just $99

Thanks

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!