August 29, 2005
Hi

I am going to build an new htpc.

I already have
samsung hd
hauppauge 150
saphire radeon 256 mb
samsung dvd player.

I am looking for a motherboard with a processor (AMD). For me it is important that the rc and the s3 function is working. Do you have some good results with any motherboard, please let me know

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Ive got a Abit NF7-S V2, which after patching works fine with this setup.

If you look at Intel though my Albatron PX865PE Pro II leaves the USB on 24/7 even when the computer is switched off :shock: I have a usb fan and unless I unplug it, the thing never switches off. Wonder if that would allow me to switch the pc on by remote then.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I use this for my HTPC setup:
    http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_..._code]=MB-ALKM18GPROV2&input[category_id]=202

It's small, works well and has lots of onboard features. It has no issues shutting down my PC and waking it up again via USB and my MCE remote (although my compro tuner cards don't like this much but that is their issue). Bear in mind that the built in graphics doesn't have hardware DX9 support so MP may run slow if you try to do too many things using only the onboard graphics. I ended up adding in a GF5200.

Otherwise, if you want to go AMD 939 rather than Socket A then this is what I am looking at for my next upgrade: http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.php?art_no=mbJEja210gdms_pro
    It seems much better than the MSI version, as it has the dedicated onboard memory for video and also supports AMD cool 'n' quiet which in my eyes is a must have for HTPC. I'm keen to find out more about it but there aren't too many reviews and the Jetway website is *very* hard to get around.

twim

August 25, 2005
    Italy
    I'm very happy with my new HTPC hardware (see my signature).
    The new AMD architecture is great, the CPU runs very cool and doesn't cost too much.
    There is also an ASUS A8N motherboard without SLI.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just FYI - forced standby in MP does not work great as the TV cards don't get re-initialized until you exit then re-enter MP - hence the standby option exits MP or use Fred's plugin which deals with the card issue.

DMAN

S

scottb721

Marcusb said:
    Marcus,
    I saw your post above about your Albatron motherboard.
    I was thinking of getting this exact MB because of it's onboard TV Out to keep initial costs down.

My HTPC would only be used for watching/recording and playback to SD digital tv using just the TV Out port.
    For DVD movie playback I'd just stick to using my regular Pioneer DVD player.
    With this in mind would you still recommend the MB without a AGP card ?
    Gamedude has them for just $99

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom