Move show after being watched? (1 Viewer)

moryoav

Portal Pro
December 2, 2008
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to an annoying problem; Due to increasingly shrinking available hard drive space and increasingly growing file sizes (only downloading 720p now is taking it's toll), I find myself going through all my shows way too often to deleted ones that are watched. The file name has no indication whether the file was watched, so I have to Google the episode numbers to see if I already saw the episodes or not. Quite tedious. It would have been so much more helpful if I could automatically more/rename watched shows to a different folder (ie. from TVseries to TVSeries.Watched ) and that would make it easier to delete everything at once (or users could chose to move watched shows to the trash can, effectively deleting them, that's two features in one).

Is there any way to do that now with some workaround or hack?

Thanks!

Y.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    MP-TVSeries config (either via desktop shortcut, or MePo config -> plugins).

Go to the "General tab" -> right side, look for "Allow user to delete files from the GUI context menu" and check it.

(while there also check the "Check on playback of episode is not out of order")

Then close config, and now inside MediaPortal GUI while inside MP-TVSeries with easy view on what series/season/epsisode you have watched you can click the '0' key on your remote and then select 1, 2 or 3 to delete from disk, dbase or disk+dbase. If you want to retain a watched record inside the MP-TVSeries database then you want to use the 'from disk' option only.

If you enabled the other suggested option, then you can literally delete all the files to a serie you are watching week to week and the series will dissapear from view until a new file/episode is added. If you then accidently get a week skipped the other setting will prevent you from making that mistake and showing dialog saying you did not yet watch the previous episode. This only works if at least one episode entry exists in the database of that same season, so if you start a season on episode 3 with no dbase entry on 1+2, then you will not get a warning. But I think Alzheimer has set in then if you run into that scenario :)

As for moving files, you can do that to watched or unwatched ones, and MP-TVSeries will update the location reference, so that should not make any issues for you now. You can even do that while MediaPortal is running. In worst case you have to manually trigger an import update if you try to watch the episode immediatly after a move and an automatic trigger has not taken place yet.

moryoav

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    MP-TVSeries config (either via desktop shortcut, or MePo config -> plugins).

Go to the "General tab" -> right side, look for "Allow user to delete files from the GUI context menu" and check it.

Thank you for the tip, however, your "system" requires me to have all shows visible (including watched once) when I prefer a view that shows me just the unwatched... I'll play around with it a little bit, see if it's convenient for me to change my default view.

Thanks again...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I delete all the watched ones, so my final view is 'unwatched'.

Also you can toggle between the way that is displayed inside GUI via left/hidden menu options.

If I turn on the option to show all episodes, the deleted ones show up as 'orange' (remoteColor) in my skin.

moryoav

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    ... I'm not sure I follow you there. If your final view is Unwatched then the episode disappears from the list right after you watch it. So what you do, correct me if I'm wrong is;
    1) After watching you change the view to "All (Watched+Unwatched)".
    2) You go to the episode you just watched and you delete it.
    3) You change the view back to "Unwatched".

This is so cumbersome... It would have been so much better if we had a way to automatically rename/remove watched episodes...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    TLDR; There is no need to switch views during normal usage, because any episode not deleted is unwatched.

I do not use unwatched type of views, I have custom views for shows my wife watches, the ones I watch, the one she watches with a friend together, a view for the shows we watch together, a view for sitcoms, and finally a view for the 4-year old that visits often. The 'All View' is disabled, and the 'No View' I renamed to 'New Releases' with a PIN code that on occasion I go in to assign it to a view when new shows are added (twice a year usually). My own view and the 'US' view are also PIN protected, and my wifes view is the default one when MP-TVSeries opens (as configured via TitanEditor). TV shows can be added to a single view or multiple views as well. Ontop of that I got some quirky work-arounds in place to allow continuing sitcoms to exist in the 'US' view for new episodes, but exist in the 'Sitcoms' view at the same time for old episodes.

All episodes watched+unwatched are shown, when entering a season it jumps to the first unwatched episode anyway so having watched episodes display does not hurt usability a lot. If I am hurting for storage space (the DriveSpace plugin keeps me up to date on this) I can delete episodes on a per-episode basis or entire season. At season level I use '0' -> '3' to delete from disk + database, and at episode level I would use '0' -> '1' to just delete that one episode from disk so I do not loose the playback in order progress capability.

If I am ever curious what the last episode was that I watched, I use left menu -> options -> show all episodes (on) and the deleted episode(s) would appear as 'orange', but it is extremly easy to get lazy on that as SickBeard takes care of everything else fully automatic for me.

So take yesterday as an example my own view series total jumped to +1 and I immediatly noticed "Almost Human" with 001 unwatched, I watched the episode (highly enjoyed it) and afterwards did '0' + '1' and the episode and series is immediatly removed and I am back to the main view overview. This allows me to quickly keep an eye on the other series that I still need to watch.

moryoav

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    TLDR; There is no need to switch views during normal usage, because any episode not deleted is unwatched.

After a week or so of using your technique, it seems to work fine. I still wish we had a more automatic way of doing this, but the manual solution described above serves it's purpose. Thanks for your help...!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    After a week or so of using your technique, it seems to work fine. I still wish we had a more automatic way of doing this, but the manual solution described above serves it's purpose. Thanks for your help...!

Glad it helped.

If enough users 'star' the issue I created, then we might see something being added inside MP-TVSeries. At the same time there are other plugins that could be approached as well. MP-Cleaner for example is able to delete thumbnails and other artwork that is no longer activly used by MP-TVSeries and other plugins. It could be expanded I guess to also handle cleanup of watched episodes. Another way is to just run Windows Task Scheduler and some batch script or other tool that will delete 'older' episodes, but that is more dangerous as there is no link back to the 'watched' status.

Sometimes all it takes is for a developer to go "that is something I like myself", or find enough people to motivate a developer to add it out of courtesy.

In the meantime, I use every workaround that I can figure out :)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Don't ask for official support on this but there is a secret setting which allows you to run a script after an episode is watched, its in the DBOption table of the database, the 'InvokeExtAfterPlayback...' fields may interest you and could theoretically be used to delete/move and episode after playback.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @ltfearme, will have to look into that. My work-around mind is spinning up at full speed at all the possabilities this opens up :)

Are parameters available for like folder, filename, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom