Move to MP2 (1 Viewer)

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So tempted to move from MP1 to MP2 now, WMP skin looks great!

4 clients and a server though - big task?!?!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    4 clients and a server though - big task?!?!
    Not really:
    1x server installation
    1x TV configuration setup on server (you can use your old MP1 database, it's recognized)
    4x client installation
    1x configuration (on any of the four clients, media sources etc. - it will be immediately active on all others. Skins need to be set locally though.

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the message, I am very happy with MP1 but its having the server with all the DBs and settings that the clients just plug into that attracts me to MP2.

Do I need to uninstall MP1?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do I need to uninstall MP1?
    No, you can keep it in parallel. However, you must deactivate the MP1 TVServer service in Windows before installing the MP2 server. For switching between the two, you then deactivate the MP2 Server service and enable the MP1 service again.

If you give MP2 a go, please allow sufficient time to terminate the import job after you have set up media source paths. Be aware of the fact that MP2 does in one step what MP1 requires several individual setups for (music, series, etc). Also MP2 reads many different attributes, which later you can apply any search combination to that you like.

In a nutshell: at start MP2 may appear a little bit laggy, but we are working to improve this for the final.

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    OK. I have been using MP1 since 2012 - and its awesome. I have the following config/requirements

Live FOA TV via Satellite and Aerial TV cards (TBS) - in Server
    Large Film catalogue held on Server HDDs - I use Moving Pictures, but this is tricky per client to set up.
    Large TV Series held on Server HDDs - I use MP-TVSeries, pretty solid but like Moving Pictures tricky set up and occasional has caused DB issues
    Catch up TV - I use OnlineVideos, which is great.
    Steam - Nice to just fire up Steam Big Picture Mode from MP dashboard
    Radio - Nice to get all the DAB channels
    Remote controls - I use GMYLE PC Remote Control, which is great but just wish I could get the green WMC button to boot/closedown MP

I want a smooth premium GUI. All PCs currently are titan skin, which is great but WMC MP2 skin looks so good I think I want to try it.

Primarilly I want the most stable performance (no crashing....ever!) between server and 4 clients. I want to add Netflix, Sky Go and a better Iplayer and Youtube experience. An all-in-one system with seamless GUI is what I want.

I'm interesting in upgrading the systems and thus TVs to be all 4K

I'm willing to do fresh Win 10 and subsequent MP2 installs.

What to do, what to do? ;-)

The Doctor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ah, indeed MP2 is laggy at first. How to import the tv1-server database? Am I overlooking something?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ah, indeed MP2 is laggy at first.
    It's only laggy, if an import of MediaItems is running in parallel, because this can cause huge dataamounts depending on your amount of MI's. Once the import is finished you shouldn't see any lags at all. even with older PC's it should be smooth

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No, you can keep it in parallel. However, you must deactivate the MP1 TVServer service in Windows before installing the MP2 server. For switching between the two, you then deactivate the MP2 Server service and enable the MP1 service again.

Is it indeed true that you cannot have one server used by mp1 clients and mp2 clients simultaniously? I though I read somewhere (can't find that page anymore...) that it should be possible somehow

Edit: found link: TV support - MediaPortal 2 - MediaPortal Wiki

The Doctor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi.

You can export the settings in TV configuration of MP1 and import this later in Tv Configuration of MP2 with the inbuild Import/Export function...

Yes that woulld be a valid option, only tv-server2 recognizes my dvbs cards, the iptv and build-in radio webstream cards in a different order. So the id`s don`t match and the priority is different. I have not yet found where to change that order. Export and import is working apart from this vital option. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread