movie Importer isn't as good at MP1 Moving Pictures (2 Viewers)

jimwin

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
England England
I tried migrating from MP1 to MP2 for the second time today.
I've found that the movie importer doesn't seem to pick up on a number of movies very well, and there isn't an obvious way to get it to refresh it's database if you go through and refresh.
movies that wouldn't auto detect (file names given):
Aladdin(2019).mkv
black.panther.2018.720p.bluray.x264-sparks.mkv
Captain.America.The.First.Avenger.720p.mkv
coco.2017.720p.bluray.x264-sparks.mkv
Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone.mkv
I only have one Deathly Hallows movie visible, with the 2 files below in the folder:
harry.potter.and.the.deathly.hallows.part.1.720p.mkv
harry.potter.and.the.deathly.hallows.part.2.720p.mkv

I expected to get a few issues, but I'm hugely disappointed after using Moving Pictures in MP1. MP was far better at guessing the movies, plus also let you view the movies it wouldn't automatically match.

I've read the article on how to label movies for MP2 to understand them, but that's a huge job to change the names of all the movies, especially when MP1 and even Kodi can recognise most of them.

I've tried a few tools, as suggested on the forum to "clean up" my movie names, and also the one to "export my MP database from 1" but nothing seems to work consistently.

Sorry to vent, MP2 is great as a whole, but it just seems the movie parser / importer has taken a big step backwards compared to MP1.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've tried a few tools
    I’ve a few thousand movies tagged with tiny media manager or media buddy. All of them are imported correctly. It’s a few minutes import with online scrapping turned off, very comfortable. Then you didn’t tag them correctly, because MP2 just reads what is written in the nfo files.

In case of incorrect imported media items a reimport for every individual media item from context menu is also possible. You can just select the right search result from what was found online on scrapping pages.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I tried importing some files with the same names as the ones you mention, and fixed some issues. The only file it doesn't find is the Aladdin movie which is also not found if searching for "Aladdin (2019)" on TheMoviesDb. I don't know why this is the case but it seems like an issue we can't fix.

jimwin

Portal Pro
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    ok, so I went through the process of fixing all the existing files where tagging wasn't perfect. It was a painful exercise but it's finally done. I've left the import running for a few weeks (Still using Mediaportal 1 for watching) and MP2 is still struggling with newly added movies.
    I've had my system set up for automation for a long time now, so movies / TV shows are copied to my system automatically, and usually without NFO files, so I don't think a tool like Media Buddy is going to help. My PC is generally used from the sofa without a keyboard, just a Harmony remote, so anything I put in has to be automatic.

FYI, the next movie title it can't work out is Wonder Woman 1984.2020.1080p.mkv.

I get "Untitled Wonder Woman 3", while MP1 / Moving Pictures successfully finds the movie.

Henso thanks for your efforts, I've noticed that my "Deathly Hallows" movies are now correctly identified.

tom_nl

November 21, 2021
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After using MediaPortal for more then 10 years and upgrading to MP2, it's a pity to see that the movie importer just does not work. Reinstalling, adding tiny mediamanager to see if that gets movies from Videos to Films, it just does not. I might suggest to include the moving pictures plugin from MP1, that works (nearly) flawless, and has been for the last years. I completely do not understand why the movie import function clearly is overlooked by making MP2, after all, movies and series are a major appeal of Mediaportal, or at least, used to.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Of course the movie import works correctly in MP2, if files are tagged with tMM. If you have issues please describe step by step what you did or attach log files, otherwise we can not find out the issue on your side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom