Movieimporter throwing errors, doesn't import anything (2 Viewers)

C.44

Portal Member
January 16, 2008
Germany
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I was asked to create a new thread for this problem i've been having. I have a Mac OSX Lion mac upstairs that does all the downloading. It has 2 SMB shares. One for movies, one for series. Series are being imported perfectly by my WinXP system with MP 1.1.3 and MPTVSeries.

MovingPictures has troubles though. I can view the movies just fine if i go to Videos instead of MovingPictures in Mediaportal, so that's not an issue.

I have tried 2 scenario's. One with the share used as a such and one with the share mapped to a driveletter (X:\).

Scenario 1: Share as a share
I've added the share as \\computer\share\folderwithpictures\. The movie importer scans the directory, lists what it has found and starts fetching possible matches for the first 5. Or so it seems. It will sit like method1.jpg (in the attached files) for hours without doing anything. I've checked network activity and there is none (router has a way to determine what computer downs/ups how much kbps). The log is attached as movingpicures_method1.log.

Scenario 2: Share mapped to a drive (X:\)
Now i've mapped the share to a driveletter (X:\). It doesn't do anything. The movieimporter screen looks like method2.jpg and doesn't change at all. The logfile is attached as (you guessed it) movingpictures_method2.log.

The system is pretty basic. MP1.1.3, Moving pictures 1.1.5, running on WinXP SP3 32bit. I've had it working before, but after numerous reinstalls trying to figure out why my DVBS-2 cards can't be powered down without losing HD Channels... it doesn't anymore.

Any help with this would be great =)

Attachments

• method1.jpg
    method1.jpg
    89.3 KB
  • method2.JPG
    method2.JPG
    46.9 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The drive map (2nd log) immediatly failes on:

07-Sep-2011 12:46:15 Error [ DBImportPath]: Canceled scan for 'X:\Vids\Movies': Could not get required volume information.

So it has trouble communiating with the SMB share. There are known issues with that on Windows, which is why it i preferred to use the UNC path reference.

That one however gives lot of errors as well. Since you did not run in debug mode they are not as clear to me, but might indicate that you have some filenames with characters not allowed by Windows (but are accepted by Mac), or that you have permission issues going on. Try to adjust the share to have more permissions at the Mac side. Start at full read/write and work your way down from that after things work.

C.44

Portal Member
    January 16, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Put it into debug mode for you. As far as naming goes, the names you see in the picture method2.jpg are the exact names on the files. I use an Adobe Air application called ZEEB to rename all my movies to strip any bogus scene tags and whatnot. The only characters used are a-z A-Z 0-9 ( ) - and . which should be fine for windows xp too.

As for permissions, these shares have sufficient / all permissions (777/Read write execute) on all folders, subfolders and files on that share. As i said the movies work perfectly fine if i approach them with "Video" instead of "Moving Pictures" in Mediaportal. It has worked in this exact same situation before, i just don't really feel like re-installing windows and setting up mediaportal all over again just to see if it maybe solves my problem.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The last file however is named "¡Three Amigos! (1986).tt0092086.avi", but that should indeed normally not be a problem.

What you are doing however is mass-importing a lot of movies when you are experiencing problems. On the Mac create "\\Venomp\1tb\Vids\Temp" folder, and move all the files in there, leaveing no movie left in "\\Venomp\1tb\Vids\Movies".

Then launch MovPic config again and wait for a few seconds as it will be doing maintenance. Then leave the import tab open and move back 1 movie. Verify it is picked up by the importer, it should appear as a text entry first, then green circle will appear and once import is finished it will show a checkmark inside the green circle.

Then you can switch to the "Movie Manager" tab to verify the movie imported correctly. After you verified that, move 2 movies into the import folder, wait for all checkmarks, then 5, then 10 and after that you should be able to move them all.

The specific error entry is as follows:

07-Sep-2011 19:41:03 Fatal [ MovieImporter]: Unhandled error in MediaScanner. System.IO.IOException: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Which could possibly refer to the MediaInfo part of the import process. If you still have problems importing, then at the import tab, use the gear icon drop down menu to disable the option that reads "Automatically Retrieve MediaInfo". If a few movies then import correctly, you should visit the MediaInfo website and download a new DLL from them to see if yours needs updating (can happen with media that is newer then the support within the DLL that you have installed with MediaPortal).

And please report back what steps you took that failed or worked, so that perhaps something can be done to improve MovPic on handling these situations.

PS: I also noticed you have a few multi-part movies, but a lot of your movies are in the same folders, so be sure that "Importer Settings" -> "Always Group Files In The Same Folder" setting is not enabled.

PPS: If you like English titles/summaries, you might want to consider using the IMDb+ scraper before you import your collection for added benefits.

C.44

Portal Member
    January 16, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Instead of moving all movies to a temp folder, i moved 2 movies to a temp folder and tried importing just that folder. Doesn't work. Disabling "Automatically Retrieve Mediainfo" doesn't do anything for it either (i removed the source and added again just to make sure).

As for the multipart movies, every movie is in it's own subfolder. All videofiles in the same folder are actually part of the same movie. For movie collections i might have one folder with subfolders for every seperate movie. Should that be a multipart movie only the parts of that specific movie are in a subfolder.

I love IMDB+. No matter what i did to the original IMDb scraper i couldn't get it to give me English info. Now the first thing i do is remove the original IMDb scraper (remove not disable) and add the IMDB+ scraper.

Anyways, i've added another log but basically it says the exact same thing as before, just with less files and bit smaller in filesize.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Instead of moving all movies to a temp folder, i moved 2 movies to a temp folder and tried importing just that folder.

Test with just 1 movie first and don't use a subfolder for it. Place it directly in root of the import folder.

C.44

Portal Member
    January 16, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just added a single folder of a movie as a source. Exact same thing happens. Still have the automatic downloading of mediainfo disabled. Logs are attached.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Sorry, but what part of PLACE MEDIA FILE IN ROOT OF IMPORT FOLDER was not clear?

Do *NOT* use the sub folder. I'm expecting that the precense of the IMDb tt-ID number inside the foldername is throwing MovingPicture plugin for a loop and it is trying to import the folder and not the file.

So test it via: \\Venomp\1tb\Vids\TEMP\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003).tt0322259.m2ts

If that works, try: "\\Venomp\1tb\Vids\TEMP\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) [tt03222592]\Fast 2 Furious (2003).tt0322259.m2ts" to see if the dot seperator is the cause. The more you deduct the source of the problem, the faster the developers can fix the problem.

If it still fails try: \\Venomp\1tb\Vids\TEMP\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) (tt0322259).m2ts

That is the same style I use myself, so if that fails it has to be network/permission related.

C.44

Portal Member
    January 16, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Eh.. the media file IS in the root of the folder i added as a source. It also was the only file in the folder. Anyway, i took the file and renamed it to 2fast2furious.m2ts put it in a separate 2f2f folder in the root of my share. Doesn't do any good for it either. Logs are attached again.

As for the permission and network suggestion, both are fine. Permission is set to 777 or read/write/execute for anyone on my network. It has also been recursively set so both folders and files have that permission. I have also mentioned that MPTVSeries has no problems with any of my shares including this one. Neither does the regular videos "plugin" for MP which plays every movie including those with 2 periods in it's name just fine.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    And you are *SURE* there is nothing else in the folder? Because error seems to indicate you have an NFO file in there that is causing the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom