Moving all media from local HDD to networked location (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I had all my movies on my desktop pc in

E:\HDMOVIES2\
    E:\SDMOVIES2\

I took the e:\ HDD out of my pc and put it into another pc

I opened up mp config -> moving pictures and it asked me to reinsert the hdd with the missing movies
    I then added the networked location \\htpc\e\hdmovies2\
    This unfortunately didn't fix the problem as movpic still thought all my files were missing
    So I then created a mapped network drive called E:\ with the movies located exactly as before in E:\HDMOVIES2\ etc
    Moving Pictures still thinks the files are missing
    I then removed \\htpc\e\hdmovies2\
    Moving Pictures still thinks the files are missing
    I can still browse the movies with all the info, but I can't play any movies

What is the correct method of transfering media?
    PS. between each step I tried restarting mp config/moving pictures, it did not help.

Cheers
    Mike

PS. I am having identical problem with my tv series.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ok now all my movies are gone from database and moving pictures is refusing to even scan any media, I can't add a single movie whether I use a maped network drive or a networke share location

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    Have you tried using a UNC path instead of a mapped drive?

If you continue to have issues, you might want to delete your moving pictures database under your user settings folder and then try a re-scan.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Umm I was using a UNC path if you have a closer look at my post :D

\\htpc\e\hdmovies2\ is a unc path isn't it?[DOUBLEPOST=1350056909][/DOUBLEPOST]ok i think i may of discovered the problems some of the share settings have carried over with the hard drive, so even though i was sharing the root folder since i had previously shared a subfolder on the other computer with different access settings those settings carried over and blocked certain subdirectories even though i gave my desktop root access.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes problem was because moving pictures was being denied access, unfortunately already purged my database :D thank god for trakt/follow.it :D ; and having perfectly named directories so no need to approve anything :D

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I have just done this recently with all fixed clients and two laptops having moved everything onto a dedicated server.... My God, it is frustrating! I did a clean rescan on each machine, it seemed to take days with 800+ movies and 130 TV Series. WAF plummeted. :(

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Moving pictures supports moving libraries, but due to user error it didn't work for me. However I think the wording and directions are fairly ambiguous, I might see if I can reword it better then suggest fforde to change it, otherwise maybe I can create some text he can add to the wiki regarding moving a movie collection.

With regards to tv series I have no idea if it supports changing media location or not.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Kiwi,

I do remember reading on the forum that it was possible to change the path of the movie collection, but I was a bit like a bull in a china shop. It also gave me the opportunity with TV Series to sort out a few naming issues due to changes at the TVDB end; changes that I had been putting off for some time due to them being a pain in the ar$e to work out.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi infinite.loop

Why don't you share the MP Databases?

I have read about it, but to be honest I'm still learning with MP and databases scare me! I'm still getting the new server 'settled' and when this is up and running properly I may consider using shared databases. I presume it is something you currently do? Will it slow anything down??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom