Moving all media from local HDD to networked location (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Sharing TVS and MVP databases can work very well... but you have to be careful...the databases are not designed to be mutiple/simultaneous update aware.

So if you have two or more clients, you have to ensure that only one ever updates the database at a time (you could configure it, so that only a single client performs the imports).

J.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I presume it is something you currently do? Will it slow anything down??
    All my HTPC's share the MP Databases since years - nothing is slowed down.

It is fairly easy to do - but the doc in the wiki isn't that *simple*.
    If there is interest then I can do a video tutorial sometime during the next week.

Along with the databases, my clients also share thumbs and the skin.

Sharing TVS and MVP databases can work very well... but you have to be careful...the databases are not designed to be mutiple/simultaneous update aware.

So if you have two or more clients, you have to ensure that only one ever updates the database at a time (you could configure it, so that only a single client performs the imports)
    With the changes in 1.3.0 Alpha, this seems to be no issue any longer.

Having a scheduled backup task for your databases is a good idea though in general. ;)

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There is also option to copy data base across to each new pc, guide inside the moving pictures wiki on the moving pictures google code website and is very straight forward.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Also if you want a multi-user environment another option is to setup one 'master' that does the MovPic importing and then you generate XBMC NFO files with MovPicNFO tool. Each 'client' is then simply configured to only use the XBMC NFO scraper.

You can then use a shared Follw.it or Trakt account to sync watched data, or keep it seperated depending on your multi-user preferences.

The benefits of this method is that rebuilding a MovingPictures database is very easy and can be done off-line, it also allows collaboration with other clients easier (XBMC, Boxee or WD Live boxes for example).

Beauty of open source is that there is always a way to make it work.

@inifinite.loop, I think a lot of users would appreciate a video tutorial on your method.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

There is a definite performance drop with running a centralised DB and Thumbs (compared to local on SSD), but thats a small price to pay ;)

J.

Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    They're a bit old skool now... ;)

Bring on 40Gbps or 100Gbps...copy a HD movie in 1 second! :eek:

J.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    They're a bit old skool now... ;)

Bring on 40Gbps or 100Gbps...copy a HD movie in 1 second! :eek:
    The bottle neck in every PC is still the HDD. Which is "the" medium to store the media. Unless you are made out of money and can afford 3+TB SSD setups. :D

So generally speaking, 1GigaBit Ethernet is fine.

Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    In relation to speed...

I find Moving Pictures to be fine with a centralised setup, but TVSeries does struggle where the screen seems to hang for a few seconds :(

The central storage (where DB and Thumbs are) is SSD, LAN is gigabit, client is SSD.

J.

ps - Off topic.... Get some of these: http://www.fusionio.com/products/iodrive-octal/ ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I find Moving Pictures to be fine with a centralised setup, but TVSeries does struggle where the screen seems to hang for a few seconds :(
    Don't have this issue.
    Yet on the server I store all the centralized MP files on an SSD to prevent that the HDD's have to spin up for just some client access. TS-Buffer is on the SDD too for the same reason. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom