Moving Blu rays over from Moving Pictures (1 Viewer)

Traffik

Portal Pro
January 13, 2010
Hi
I have been using MovingPictures and its been great. I have always felt that its a bit too automatic for my liking and have always wished I could manually alter things as I see fit.
This is why I have decided to give MyFilms a try.
I have managed to scan my movie folders and all my hard drive based movies are sorted.
However, I added all my BluRay collection to MovingPictures and would like to do the same with MyFilms.
Preferably I would just like to "move" them over in the same way that you can do with the nfo export/import but alas this doesn't seem to work with disc based movies, only file based.
Has anyone managed to do this? I have just as many files as I do discs and want MyFilms to let me play both is the same way that Moving Pictures did.

Thanks

Nat.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey Nat - First you need to see if the NFO exporter for Moving Pictures will export the data to an nfo file. If it does, then there may be a way to read that into MyFilms. There is also an XML exporter tool for MovingPictures which MIGHT work - see the FAQ in MyFilms Wiki: Moving Pictures Conversion. I am not sure if that is still working or when it was last tested. I have never used it. But I totally understand your dread/need to avoid re-indexing all your DVDs/BRDs.

Once you get them into MyFilms, yes you can play both. I have even indexed my DVD library (using the Media Label field) so when I try to play a movie on DVD it tells me which binder contains the DVD ;) silly eh? :p

Traffik

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2010
    Ok thanks.
    I will have a look at the nfo exporter in more detail to see if there is any way it can export the disc based movies too.
    I have already tried the xml exporter, it doesnt work with mepo 1.3

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @TLD wrote the MyFilms Tutorial: Importing From Moving Pictures DB using the MovPicNFO plugin so he might know more.

Worse case scenario - if you can find a way to auto generate folders for all your discs you could then export the nfo file to them. Then MyFilms can read them into the database and you can use AMCupdater (Updates tab for batch updates) to globally massage the data as required.

Traffik

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2010
    Yeah I thought about doing that.
    I created a test folder for one of my discs hoping that it would export the nfo and the images, but it didnt.
    Thats maybe becuase I dont really know what Im doing though![DOUBLEPOST=1372941248][/DOUBLEPOST]I just found an updated version of the XML Exporter that works with 1.3
    :)

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I just saw MovingPictures Import Export GUI released - is that the one you found? Does that work for you Traffik?

If you can provide some links/info and results of your tests, that would be really helpful, as I can add/update our MyFilms wiki to help other users who want to do the same thing! (or you could always add the info to the wiki yourself ;))

Last edited:

Traffik

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2010
    Hmm no I dont think that is the same one I found.
    I have managed to get it working now. I have exported all the info including my DVDs and Blus which is great.
    Im just sorting through the fanart now becuase the exporter I used doesnt copy it accross. Its no biggie though.
    So far so good. Its a shame MyFilms doesnt jump to the correct movie when you insert the disc though like Moving Pictures does. Or maybe Im not setting it up right?? More stuff to read and learn!

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    (y) Good you got all the data - that's the main thing! It's not so bad if you have to add/scrape more data/covers/fanart if you want, but putting all those DVDs in and out of the drive to re-import is not fun!

IIRC in MyFilms you have to select the movie and go to details view before you insert the disc so you can get watched status, Trakt sync etc. if you want for offline media.

I guess we are a dying breed we all our offline media Traffik ;). I think most users rip them to HDD these days, but I never seem to get around to doing that! :(

Traffik

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2010
    Ha yeah!
    I would need several large drives in order to store all my Blus. Not going to happen right now, more important things to spend money on :)
    Yeah Im glad this is working out, the more I play with this the more I realise this is what I always wanted Moving Pictures to be. Dont get me wrong, I think Moving Pictures is great, but I felt like I needed more control, and now I have it!

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Same here, that is one of the main reasons I have always used MyFilms. Although I think it is probably too much control and too many options for many users. ;) But now I feel like I lucked out because I could not live without the control I have in MF especailly within the GUI. I think my fav feature is still probably the relational search - i.e. find all moves with the same actor, or by the same director, etc. No typing, just 2 clicks. I honestly don't know how I ever lived without it! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom