Moving Pictures forcing resume from standby (2 Viewers)

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi all,

I have this really weird problem I hope you can help me shed some light on...

A couple of days ago I installed Moving Pictures for the first time. Awesome plugin to keep track of my movies :) But also the start of some unexpected issues...

I have set my HTPC to go to stand by after 10 mins of in-activity. It has been working very well but after the install of Moving Pictures it stopped working. What happens is that the HTPC will go to standby OK, but only to restart shortly thereafter, typically within 30s-2mins. This happens very consistently, which is good I guess because it makes it easier to debug ;)

If I disable Moving Pictures (and no other changes to the system) it works as expected again. I've tried this over and over for the past days and it is very predictable.

I took it one step further and tested which device this may relate to. When I disabled the NIC from waking up the HTPC it also stayed in standby, even with Moving Pictures enabled. That is not my preferred solution though since I want to be able to wake the machine from remote and schedule recordings with 4TR.

So it seems as the combination of Moving Pictures and Wake-on-Lan causes my issues with standby/resume.

For now I have to disable Moving Pictures since it is more important that standby/resume works. I did find an old thread (from Oct 2008) but that problem reported then with standby/resume should be fixed long ago. And it was only similar, not the same, if I understood the comments in the thread.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Any clues what may cause this :confused:

There is nothing in the logs (as far as I can see). I use MP 1.0.2 and the latest release of Moving Pictures.

Cheers

/Peter

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think, I have the same Problem. My Pc sometimes wakes up from standby since I have installed MovingPictures and activated WOL. But I have to check if its realy related to MovingPictures.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi fforde,

Here is a rar-file with the logs from my test runs. The logs contain 2x standby followed by resume (initiated by Moving Pictures I believe).

I also included the relevant log entires from MST as I use that tool to shutdown/restart MP on standby/resume. In this file you can see the exact timing of the events.

I got two files for MovingPictures and MP due to the restart I think.

I would be very interested to hear any suggestion what may cause this odd behavior.

/Peter

opeters

Portal Member
    July 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same issue here, but I never thought of a relation with Mooving Pictures.

I was able to solve this on one PC that used a Realtek Network adapter by selecting Wake on Lan Capabilities --> Magic Packet instead of Pattern Match. On my other Client that has a Nvidia network adapter I couln't configure this so on that client I still have the issue.

However I don't understand how an application can influence this when the PC is in standby?

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi fforde,

Have you had any time to log at the logs I sent earlier? I had another problem with standby related to 4TR and that is now fixed so if I could workaround the standby issue with MovingPictures the HTPC would be "complete" (for now...).

/Peter

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sorry petsa, no I have not had a chance to look at this yet. I have been very busy with work lately so I really haven't had time to get anything done with Moving Pictures, but even now that things are slowing down I think this will have to wait until after the 0.8 release. I created an issue on our tracker for this so it does not get forgotten and I have scheduled it for version 0.8.1.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    OK, thanks for letting me know. I will watch for any updates to this thread once v0.8 is out.

/Peter

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Also by the way if you star the issue linked above on Google Code you will receive email updates as progress is made on the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom