Moving Pictures has stopped importing new files (1 Viewer)

Peter Mee

Portal Member
August 28, 2013
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
For some reason, Moving Pictures has stopped finding new files dropped into the specified folders.

It worked great up to about a month ago, now it's not finding any new files.

Logs attached. Things I've tried;

-Checked database using sqlite3
-Checked to ensure file extensions are specified in MediaPortal video settings
-Inside Moving Pictures, I've selected restart importer

I've also attached images showing my importer config and a screen grab of one of the directories. The first file listed there is not being found;

snip1.JPG

snip2.JPG

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to import all movies again as it's a royal pain to have to fix all the ones the importer can't find.

Thanks

snip1.JPG

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The log files to do not 'capture' a repeat of the problem, so they are useless in diagnosing why/where/when things are failing.

Clear log files, start MovPic config via desktop shortcut, drop new file inside an import folder, wait an appropriate time and close MovPic config. And *THEN* provide those log files. Just be sure MediaPortal logging is configured for verbose mode or the log files are useless as well. Importing issues like these are purely MovPic related, so you only need to provide the movingpictures.log file.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What file extension are those files, as MovPics can potentially filter out videos of unknown/unsupported file types basis the MediaPortal Videos configuration.

Peter Mee

Portal Member
    August 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    What file extension are those files, as MovPics can potentially filter out videos of unknown/unsupported file types basis the MediaPortal Videos configuration.

Hi

It's .mp4. As noted in OP, I've checked that this file extension is included in the MediaPortal video config.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Mee

Portal Member
    August 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    The log files to do not 'capture' a repeat of the problem, so they are useless in diagnosing why/where/when things are failing.

Clear log files, start MovPic config via desktop shortcut, drop new file inside an import folder, wait an appropriate time and close MovPic config. And *THEN* provide those log files. Just be sure MediaPortal logging is configured for verbose mode or the log files are useless as well. Importing issues like these are purely MovPic related, so you only need to provide the movingpictures.log file.

So this is really odd.

I have 3x media sources defined in MovingPictures Importer. All are directories inside a single unRAID share ('media');

/media/video/kids
    /media/video/concerts
    /media/video/movies

(I use the path attribute to help set up access rules)

I cleared the log files and opened Moving Pictures as instructed. I dropped a new file into the /movies' folder and it was picked up straight away. I copied one of the problem files form /kids into /movies and it too was picked up immediately. Dropping anything into the /kids folder was not recognised.

I deleted the /kids source from Moving Pictures (figuring fixing a few of the movies would not be as bad as fixing them all). I re-added it and ALL the files, even the problem ones, were picked up OK.

So, sometime in then last month, something went wrong with one of my sources but was fixed by removing that source and re-adding it.

Fixed, but still a mystery.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will revert if it happens again.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Weird coincidence though, I had a file not import not long after you said that and find out it was because 'm4v' was not in the list of extensions. Instead of digging through log files, I immediatly checked the extension list first, so you saved me a few minutes of sanity :)

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've also having these problems since a while back. Movies are imported/deleted superbly on the fly (when adding new movies, downloading, removing movies) then after a while moving pictures starts missing movies added to the selected folders and I have to start all over again by deleting the database and doing it all over again settings watched flags (trying to remember what movies that are watched.. :-P )

Is there anything you can do to prevent this? Making database backups?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @mascot, Trakt plugin can save all your watched/etc flags to the cloud, and recover them auto. Then if u search on the forum I uploaded the auto backup/restore script that avoids dbase corruption.

Most of the times it is a combination of things though, for example by default movies in same folder are grouped for the CD1/CD2 type of folders. However if you drop all your media file in a folder "Movies", then that can cause really weird symptoms on import/etc.

So go through all the settings/options with a fine comb (including advanced settings) to make sure they match the way you expect them to act.

VicBond007

Portal Member
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Necroposting since this was Google's first result for "Moving Pictures stopped importing". Hopefully I can help someone else.

I too had an issue where Moving Pictures 1.8.1.0 stopped adding new files. I wiped the database, did a re-import, and noticed that it was only importing videos that I had in subfolders, ignoring single movies in the root of the scan path. (So if I ripped a blu-ray to \\server\videos\some-entire-blu-ray-disc\ it would work, but \\server\videos\some-movie.mkv would not).

Unchecking "Always Group Files In The Same Folder" under "Importer Settings" fixed this for me. I guess with this checked, it includes the root folder as a "same folder".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom