Moving Pictures vs. MP 1.2.0 Alpha Video Database? (1 Viewer)

DGalt

Portal Pro
November 23, 2010
According to the release info, MP 1.2.0 Alpha supposedly sports a greatly upgrade video database. After reading through the changes it looks like it including a lot of the features that moving pictures includes.

I haven't had a chance to play with MP 1.2.0 at all (been busy getting my unraid server up and running :rolleyes:)...how do the two compare?

I really like MovingPictures (big thumbs up devs :D), but my moto with these types of things is less is generally better, so if the built in video database does just as good of a job then that has to be taken into consideration.

Just looking for feedback from those who have had a chance to test all of this stuff.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If you are looking for information about something besides Moving Pictures your probably in the wrong subforum...

DGalt

Portal Pro
November 23, 2010
this does concern moving pictures...and when I tried to ask the question in the MP 1.2 area my question was deleted due to "crossposting"...not really sure what to do then

lordarcane

Portal Pro
November 3, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
The best thing should just be to try them out and compare wich you like the best. Thats the great thing about mp. You get to choose! ;)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well sorry your thread got deleted. If your asking about new functionality of My Videos I dont see why it would have been removed. Hopefully someone around here will post some thoughts. :p If not just give them both a try like lordarcane said. ;)

protonenpumpe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Moving Pictures vs. MP 1.2.0 Alpha Video Database?

Hi!

I also read about the new features of the MyVideo-Part of MP, so I tried it on a test-system and imported some of my films into the database...

My opinion:
    MovingPictures is far more user-friendly! It's more flexible with creating categories (as far as I could figure it out, in MyVideos you just can do this with manually add genre-types), the editing part (of MovingPictures) is easier to handle and the scraper acts more reliable. I tried to import about 50 movies into the video-database and for at least 10-15 movies, the scraper picked wrong informations. Apart from this, the biggest advantage of movingpictures is the parental lock! Either there is no such feature in MyVideos or I didn't find it. By this time, my 4 year old son figured out, how the remote works and I would not be pleased, if he'd be starting to watch some of my horror-movies....

In spite of all that, there are two things in MyVideo I would love to be added to MovingPictures:
    1. actor-information : when sorting by actors, MyVideos shows up data like a short biography and a filmography
    2. cover-flow : not necessarily a must-have, but it just looks very pretty

Hopefully, these two features will be in some future-release of MovingPictures, as it would make it absolutely perfect for me!

Greetings

pp

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi :)

my question was deleted due to "crossposting"
    Yes, posting same question to multiple forums is against our rules.
    Do you want to continue the discussion here or should I move the whole thread to the video section?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom