MP 1.12: Changing from Centarea Remote to Generic HID - how to map Buttons properly? (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But to make this a systematical approach: Where inside the Generic-HID.xml would one define the remote codes? There are three sections - as you can see in the above attached file I used the MCE Section (the middle one) with absolute no effetc.
    Anyways - is there an answer to this question?

Regards

Axel

Yeah that's not quite how it works. The sections in the HID XML accept the code from the HID Usage specs. See the source code I was linking to above and the web link in there to the actual HID specs. What you did is just hammer in the codes from the Centarea XML, that just won't do.

Now it might be that your remote is using some sort of out of specs HID code in which case you could still use our HID driver if you work out what the heck is your remote sending using that HID demo.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Ortek/Hama remote uses the MEDIA functions for some buttons, CTRL_SHIFT_xxx combinations for others, NUMPAD keys for the numeric digits, and a selection of other single keys. If the Test tool cannot handle CTRL/SHIFT/ALT, the results from using it may be misleading. :(

That's interesting, do the media keys work when you use the default HID configuration with your HAMA remote @Herr R aus B
    If yes then good keep on using HID.
    If not then disable HID, enable Media and see if the media keys are now working.
    In either cases you will need to identify the shortcuts from the other keys you want to use and modify MP key mapping to respond to those shortcuts. You can do that from the Configuration or by editing keymap.xml.

D

DM153743

I own the same case as @Herr R aus B and tried the HID demo as suggested by @Stéphane Lenclud. Unfortunately some of the important keys (like pause, play,...) are not recognized and nothing is shown in the Messages or Test tab.

Does this mean that the remote is not "MCE compatible"?
    Is there a official app / tool from Microsoft to check for MCE conformity or to log the codes sent by the remote and compare them with the spec?
    Any news on your site @Herr R aus B?

Best regards

JoergD

Last edited by a moderator:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No official tool no. It means they send the corresponding shortcuts and behave more like a keyboard rather than a remote. What you'll need to do is change MP key mapping to match the ones from WMC which should be the ones your remote is sending.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately some of the important keys (like pause, play,...) are not recognized
    If your remote is a Hama 00052451 or Ortek VRC-1100 (or one of the other brand names this remote is sold as), there exists on the MediaPortal website at least one file for download that contains a mapping definition for use with the "Centarea HID" device in MP (note: not the "Generic HID" device). If you use the search facility to look for "VRC-1100" or "Hama" or "00052451" (without the quotes), you should be able to find it.

The version that I have may be out of date (I downloaded it over a year ago), but I was playing with it last week on MP 1.12. It mostly works OK, but the INFO button did not work; the "Info" function was instead assigned to the START button (so consequently the START button could not be used to start MP from the Windows desktop).

Note: after you have downloaded the file, you need to rename it:
    from "Centarea_HID.xml" to "Centarea HID.xml" (i.e. change the underscore to a blank).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately some of the important keys (like pause, play,...) are not recognized
    there exists on the MediaPortal website at least one file for download that contains a mapping definition for use with the "Centarea HID" device in MP
    Just noticed that the first post in this thread includes several versions of the definition file for the Hama/Ortek remote, so that would be the place to start to see if one works for you.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Any update on the original problem, i.e. the keyboard not working properly in conjunction with an Hama/Ortek remote?
    My reason for asking is that I also use the Hama/Ortek remote (works great with the correct mapping, feels good in the hand, has mouse capability and the real plus is, it is available and cheap!) but when I use the keyboard, whilst most things seem to work, the ! (shift 1 key) does not display video info. which is a real nuisance.

Reference the following, for me the "Info" button works but needs a double press, also the Start button can be used to to start MP from the desktop by using the alternate MP Tray Launcher
    see here
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-tray-launcher.120654/page-5

The version that I have may be out of date (I downloaded it over a year ago), but I was playing with it last week on MP 1.12. It mostly works OK, but the INFO button did not work; the "Info" function was instead assigned to the START button (so consequently the START button could not be used to start MP from the Windows desktop).

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    damn, the good old hama rc :cry:
    same problem here - sad to see no real solution except to ignore it

But as soon as the Centarea HID is enabled, the regular keyboard isn't working properly anymore - at least not when using the virtual keyboard dialog to enter text, for instance when searching YouTube in OnlineVideos.

Weird, not sure what could have caused that regression. Was it introduced between 1.11 and 1.12?
    The HID rework was already there in 1.11.
    1.12 was about gamepad support and cleanup really.

it was definitely introduced in 1.12 - i skipped 1.12 :cool:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    damn, the good old hama rc :cry:
    same problem here - sad to see no real solution except to ignore it
    it was definitely introduced in 1.12 - i skipped 1.12 :cool:

When you say "skipped" do you mean you are on 1.13 and if so does it work there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom