MP 1.3.x dshowhelper development (2 Viewers)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi powermarcel10, just to convince you that you're not dreaming :) I have the same issue (also ATI). I have the same problem and tried all versions and I can confirm (at least fro my system) that 1.3.0A version is only one which works flawlessly, the rest just in 1 of 5 gives black screen on playback start (actually MP is not frozen and you can't get out from Bscreen ->CTRL-ALT-DEL kill MP helps) and doesn't matter which file is, once it works, next time it fails on the same file (I'm not using TV so can't say anything for that).

Actually, I can't see light in the tunnel in this because all of those issues are really hardware-software dependent on user side and owls (IMHO) can't create universal dll which will work flawlessly on every system. I just archived 1.3.0A dshowhelper.dll and will use it for the time being.

Now, black screen could be a problem of refresh rate change on video file play start and something goes in infinite loop and waiting (that's my assumption) and it is really random but as I found my favorite version I'm not looking anymore for something new.

I can't track these issues down without logs from people having problems ;) - I need these to see if there is a pattern to the behaviour.

Tony

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    675 still running great here without issues. MP 1.3a latest

ATI CATS 12.11b4 HD7750, CATS 12.6 legacy HD4200

JPG of my LAV settings and REG entries for 675, may help someone?

My latest logs attached may help as a comparison to those with ATI cards having problems.

One point though is the lack of logs from people especially TEAM members.

Attachments

• Settings.JPG
      Settings.JPG
      245.3 KB

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I've only really tested so far with Live and Recorded TV but haven't had any problems with my 6950 and CAT 12.8.

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi powermarcel10, just to convince you that you're not dreaming :) I have the same issue (also ATI). I have the same problem and tried all versions and I can confirm (at least fro my system) that 1.3.0A version is only one which works flawlessly, the rest just in 1 of 5 gives black screen on playback start (actually MP is not frozen and you can't get out from Bscreen ->CTRL-ALT-DEL kill MP helps) and doesn't matter which file is, once it works, next time it fails on the same file (I'm not using TV so can't say anything for that).

Actually, I can't see light in the tunnel in this because all of those issues are really hardware-software dependent on user side and owls (IMHO) can't create universal dll which will work flawlessly on every system. I just archived 1.3.0A dshowhelper.dll and will use it for the time being.

Now, black screen could be a problem of refresh rate change on video file play start and something goes in infinite loop and waiting (that's my assumption) and it is really random but as I found my favorite version I'm not looking anymore for something new.

Thanks Deda,

I was thinking for a long time that I was the only one with this strange problem.. It's actually the only real problem/bug in Mediaportal for me right now.. But I'm really happy with the version from MP 1.3.0A. I hope that someone know what the problem could be exactly. Fact is that it has something to do with dshowhelper. (maybe in combination with other used hard-/ and software) I was hoping on some performance fixes with newer versions of dshowhelper, so that was the reason for me to try new versions, but I couldnt find any improvements yet. But that's no problem because the version from 1.3.0A is working just fine. So I agree with you that the best thing in our case is to use that one!

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Thanks Deda,

I was thinking for a long time that I was the only one with this strange problem.. It's actually the only real problem/bug in Mediaportal for me right now.. But I'm really happy with the version from MP 1.3.0A. I hope that someone know what the problem could be exactly. Fact is that it has something to do with dshowhelper. (maybe in combination with other used hard-/ and software) I was hoping on some performance fixes with newer versions of dshowhelper, so that was the reason for me to try new versions, but I couldnt find any improvements yet. But that's no problem because the version from 1.3.0A is working just fine. So I agree with you that the best thing in our case is to use that one!
    With all do respect, i atleast think you should post your logs when something goes bad.

@tony , dshowhelper is being used for all video files, mkv, live tv,etc, right? And tsreader.ax only for live tv, right?

Because i had a bsod last night during watching a mkv movie. Havent had time to investigate what went wrong. But ive only been playing with these files lately.

Last edited:

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

I can't track these issues down without logs from people having problems ;) - I need these to see if there is a pattern to the behaviour.

Tony

Sure, if I had them I would post them :). But actually, problem is that this always occurred when I was not at home so kids just did hard reset oh HTPC and all (for you) valuable logs was lost and also no any error log was recorded and in few occasion when I catch this I was not certain what is the cause (codecs, dual screens, MP code upgrades, ATI drivers, my own improvements in source....). Also I put back old dshowhelper from alpha release so kids can watch their videos in peace and my real consuming of HTPC is maybe twice a week and to catch this is really lottery for me.

Last edited:

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After a week or so running with no problems at all, this morning i had multiple lockups. No complete MePo lockups but the stream just stopped. To be sure i first removed tsreader.ax and replaced with the original. Still lockup, then i replaced the dshowfilter with the original from 1.30a, now it ran for a few hours without lockups.

So, i've replaced the orginal dshowfilter again with 675, cleared all the logs and tuned in to the same channel, now it runs fine again. #@$@#$ ... I could provide some logs from this morning with the lockups, but those aren't clean, don't know the exact timestamps.

We had a lockup, these are log logfiles untill the lockup.

Okay, now i had the same lockup with the original dshowfilter, most probally there is something else wrong.

Okay, the most likely reason: TVService got started again (i use FTR), for some reason it got set from disabled to automatic. Now all seems well again.

Attachments

• 18-11-2012-1212.zip
      89 KB
    Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Just added v676 to the first page - I've found/fixed/worked around a few more possible deadlock situations, so please post logs if you get any hangs/crashes....

Now it has the 'low res vsync correction' option, I've pretty much ported across all the features that are worth having from the old MP 1.2.x dev versions, but in a more user-controllable form.

Tony

Last edited:

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Great work thanks.

With 676 I am seeing an improvement in render time of about .5ms especially on the HD4200.

The 'low res vsync correction' drops cpu usage by about ten percent on my cpu limited AMD 3200 with HD4200 without any obvious dops in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom