[solved] MP 1.30 crashes after programme intro (1 Viewer)

hongkongpom

Portal Member
August 11, 2009
Home Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
Hi I have the strangest problem.
On two different downloaded video files, my MP crashes and restarts right after the programme intro finishes and the show starts.
It seems there is a change in the video file that throws my MP for a loop.
This has only started happening since I started using a new HTPC that is a Lenovo with an Intel graphics chip.
Previously I had an Intel NUC also with an Intel graphics chip and drivers and this didn't happen.
The Lenovo drivers have been updated.
When I use VLC to play the file there is no problem.
I have gone into the MP configuration and tried changing settings like the video renderer and telling MP not to restart when an audio driver is changed however I cannot solve this problem.
I see that it is supposed to grab a log file when it restarts but can't find that.
Anyone else experienced this problem?
It's only at the transition between the TV show's intro and the actual programme starting.
Thankyou!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    my MP crashes and restarts right after the programme intro finishes and the show starts.
    It seems there is a change in the video file that throws my MP for a loop.
    I have never downloaded any video from the internet to play in MP, so I don't know what data format is common for internet video, but my guess is that your HTPC is missing a codec required to play the file. My understanding is that VLC uses its own codecs, so VLC should play everything, but MP needs to use external codecs.

The usual recommendation is to use the LAV codecs for everything (all video formats, all audio formats). So:
    • Check that the LAV codecs are installed on your HTPC.
    • Check that the LAV codecs are selected for all video and audio formats.
    • Check the actual settings to ensure that they seem reasonable (but I cannot give you any specific recommendations).
    -- from CyberSimian in the UK

hongkongpom

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    Thank you very much indeed CyberSimian.

I found out what the problem was.
    I had to set the "Deinterlacing Mode" to Disabled (Progressive.)
    Now the mkv files play perfectly.
    Strange how this was only a problem with my new Lenovo mini-PC and not my Intel NUC.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-04 174448.jpg
      Screenshot 2022-12-04 174448.jpg
      227.4 KB
    • 20221204_173953.jpg
      20221204_173953.jpg
      2.2 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had to set the "Deinterlacing Mode" to Disabled (Progressive.)
    HD terrestrial TV in the UK supports both interlaced and progressive modes. My Sony TV's info screen identifies what mode is currently being received, and I was astonished to observe that the video datastream can switch rapidly between interlaced and progressive, even within single advertisement! :eek:

I am glad that you were able to solve this. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom