MP 1 dedicated server hardware (2 Viewers)

lodale

Portal Pro
April 9, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi
Been using MP for 5 years (mostly for live TV) with multi and singleseat. Now I am planning on setting up a dedicated MP 1 server. The OS will be Win 7 32bs. The main hardware will be Intel quad core i7 3,2 GHz, SSD disk (120 BB) Sata disk 500GB and 8 GB memory.
Planning to use the SSD disk for OS and MP1.5.
Planning to use 4GB (of the total 8 G memory) RAM disk for timeshifting
Planning to use the 500GB for recording and storage of pictures, movies and music.

Will this be OK for a server for 5-6 clients, or any better suggestions?

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    4 Gb could be a bit small for 5 clients, but that depends on your usecase.
    I like to have long time shifting periods and that needs some space :)

Do you record a lot? From what I saw 2Tb aren't that much more expensive than 500 Gb :)

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Do you record a lot? From what I saw 2Tb aren't that much more expensive than 500 Gb :)
    No not alot of recording. The reason for 500GB is that I have 2 pcs available, maybe I could put in 1 for recording and 1 for pictures/movies and music

Last edited:

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

No not alot of recording. The reason for 500GB is that I have 2 pcs available, maybe I could put in 1 for recording and 1 for pictures/movies and music
    My current timeshifting setting (on my multiseat PC) is min. 6 files, max 20 files, Filsesize 512MB, Wait for scrambled channel 3 sec, waite for timeshifting file 15 sec an Max card 0. I see that i use about 4GB for this. This is why I was thinking of using 4GG Ramdisc on my new server. Would not this be OK?

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the end it is hard to advice someone else what he needs. A HTPC is something personal which has to find your own needs.
    So I would say you are the only person who knows what is right for you :)

One additional note: I would choose Win 7 x64 because of your 8GB ram. Sure there are some dirty hacks available, but I wouldn't go that way :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My current timeshifting setting (on my multiseat PC) is min. 6 files, max 20 files, Filsesize 512MB, Wait for scrambled channel 3 sec, waite for timeshifting file 15 sec an Max card 0. I see that i use about 4GB for this. This is why I was thinking of using 4GG Ramdisc on my new server. Would not this be OK?
    What happen if 3 Clients are watching at the same time? Or more? I don't know what your maximum on active clients is ;)
    But 4Gb is less for me :p

And 6 file times 512 are already around 3 Gb! And your maximum is 20 what is roughly 10 Gb.
    These settings are per client, not a total value for all clients if I'm not wrong.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    In the end it is hard to advice someone else what he needs. A HTPC is something personal which has to find your own needs.
    So I would say you are the only person who knows what is right for you :)

One additional note: I would choose Win 7 x64 because of your 8GB ram. Sure there are some dirty hacks available, but I wouldn't go that way :)
    The reason for 32 bs is that it could only use abit over 3 G memmory. My PC has 8 G memory that is why I was planning to use the last 4 G with Ramdisk for timeshifting[DOUBLEPOST=1382989362][/DOUBLEPOST]
    What happen if 3 Clients are watching at the same time? Or more? I don't know what your maximum on active clients is ;)
    But 4Gb is less for me :p

And 6 file times 512 are already around 3 Gb! And your maximum is 20 what is roughly 10 Gb.
    These settings are per client, not a total value for all clients if I'm not wrong.

Oh so thats pr client! What do you think about partioning my SSD disk and use one partion to OS and the other for timeshifting? And installing Win 7 64bs for being able to use all of my 8 GB memory?

Last edited:

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My PC has 8 G memory that is why I was planning to use the last 4 G with Ramdisk for timeshifting
    I think that would work, but I have no experience with that ;)

I told your my opinion :) There is nothing more I can say ;) In the end it is your choice^^

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh so thats pr client! What do you think about partioning my SSD disk and use one partion to OS and the other for timeshifting? And installing Win 7 64bs for being able to use all of my 8 GB memory?
    Don't use a SSD for Timehsifting! You will break it!

I use a Wester Digital HDD, which is designed for A/V stuff and I have absolutely no problems :) Even if I record 3 programs on this HDD and watch Live Tv there is no stutter, no discontinues.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just get a 2TB HDD.
    Make extra partitions is no necessary, just make a nice folder structure and you have a much greater flexibility, MP will make the rest for you ;)
    I have a similar structure like that:
    Movies
    Series
    Music
    Mediaportal/Recordings
    Mediaportal/Timeshift

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom