MP client can't reconnect after "connection to tv service lost" (1 Viewer)

Kaoh

Portal Pro
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
In my setup I also have a client that goes into stanby and resumes without "restart mp on resume" feature. This works for this client except that once every two or three attempts the Wifi client is still connecting, this also results in this message. So the attempt to reconnect (maybe try it every 5 sec) will be great. The message on home is not so bad if it also goes away when the reconnect is succesfull.

Thanks for getting it into mantis. It is my last major issue with MP.

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    Simple Reproducing without standby

I've noticed the disconnected message this weekend while performing some networking that was unrelated to my htpc, so I thought at first.

My girlfriend called for me when suddenly TV stopped working. I quickly discovered this was because of the missing LAN connection. So I now found this thread. Good to know it's in Mantis already.

Simple steps I used to reproduce this in my single-seat setup

* start tvservice and mediaportal
    * start TV
    * disconnect LAN cable and wait a few seconds
    * mediaportal stops tv with the known message

I've waited some time, reconnected the lan cable and the message disappeared after a minute or so. I could not turn on TV again by using the button in the menu "TV on", but going back to Home screen and then to TV again did it: TV was working again without restarting Mediaportal.

I'm using 127.0.0.1 as TV Service hostname in Mediaportal client configuration. Doesn't bind tvservice its ports to 0.0.0.0 (output of netstat -anp) and so must be available via localhost without active lan connection in such a single seat setup? I can manually telnet to all ports including mysql when the lan cable is disconnected and so Mediaportal could also use this connection I suppose.

Attached are my logs.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've noticed the disconnected message this weekend while performing some networking that was unrelated to my htpc, so I thought at first.

My girlfriend called for me when suddenly TV stopped working. I quickly discovered this was because of the missing LAN connection. So I now found this thread. Good to know it's in Mantis already.

Simple steps I used to reproduce this in my single-seat setup

* start tvservice and mediaportal
    * start TV
    * disconnect LAN cable and wait a few seconds
    * mediaportal stops tv with the known message

I've waited some time, reconnected the lan cable and the message disappeared after a minute or so. I could not turn on TV again by using the button in the menu "TV on", but going back to Home screen and then to TV again did it: TV was working again without restarting Mediaportal.

I'm using 127.0.0.1 as TV Service hostname in Mediaportal client configuration. Doesn't bind tvservice its ports to 0.0.0.0 (output of netstat -anp) and so must be available via localhost without active lan connection in such a single seat setup? I can manually telnet to all ports including mysql when the lan cable is disconnected and so Mediaportal could also use this connection I suppose.

Attached are my logs.

For single-seat fix, see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/msloopback-device-singleseat-users-51028/

Tony

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004

I know of this "fix" but find, it should be totally unnecessary.

Estimated behaviour:
    The TV Client has to automatically use the localhost connection if available. Either in the first place if it can connect or as fallback.

The possiblity is there, I tried to describe this in pointing out that the connecting always works when using telnet. Localhost connections are not affected by a breaking LAN/Wifi connection.

Invisible

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2008
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Complete hang up after network disconnect

Hi,

I think I have the same problem. After I turned my fuse off in basement (because I'm still working on my house) and after I finished I turned it on again. On this fuse there is my Router, Modem, Swith and NAS-Server but not my MediaCenter this PC is in the living room. I only have some network connections to the NAS-Server. And in the evening if I want to watch TV my MP hang up compelete and a messsage box appears that the TVServer not running or had no connection. The PC has no reaction on my remote. I must reboot the PC but doesn't help. I removed my network cable and made a second reboot, after the PC runs and MP appears I works with the remote. Then I connect the network again and it still works.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Glad this will be looked at. It's really annoying having to restart MP client whenever TVServer has to be restarted, which I am restarting alot debugging stuttering issues.

tom78

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The same issue on single-seat-installation for me

Hello.

I also have this problem, but mine is a little bit different. (no WLAN connection)

My HTPC (Single-Seat) is connected via LAN with another PC (Cross-over-cable) and on the HTPC the recording folder is shared with the other system.
    Nearly every time when i have done anything on this shared folder (cut videos aso) and i shut down the other PC (not HTPC), MP loses connection to tv-service. Sometimes a restart of MP helps, but mostly not. When not, either MP crashes or i get the message "no free card available", but in TV-Server-Config the card is idle. Then i have to stop and restart the TV-Service to watch TV again.

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Deffinitly another problem then the one this thread is about. I suggest you post a seperate thread for this problem. Else it might be missed by the people that can help.
    I do think you should try limiting recording folder activity to adding/removing files and do the editting somewhere else for a while and see if that helps a bit.

tom78

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Kaoh
    Well, i don't think that this could be the reason because the problem starts not with the beginning of cutting and saving a video file; the problem starts when i'm shutting down the other system. independent on how long i haven't done anything. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom