MP Client trying to connect to wrong address (1 Viewer)

PoBear

Portal Pro
April 17, 2006
Northants, United Kingdom
Hi

I updated my TV Server to W10 and have got some networking problems as a result.

I'm running 1.12.0.0

My MP Client used to connect using the hostname of the server (it's this that is a problem with the update), I've updated the connection to use the IP address and validated it OK, but when I connect the client is still trying to connect to the server using the hostname which won't resolve.

Any ideas

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Any ideas
    Bet you haven't updated the database connection details in the gentle.config file. ;)

You have to do that on both client and server.

On the server you'll find the file here: c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\gentle.config
    On the client you'll find the file here: c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config

You might also want to double check the TV Server Config -> Streaming Server section.

PoBear

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2006
    Northants, United Kingdom
    I updated the Client through configuration and the gentle.config on the client, didn't realise there was one on the server as well as the Client on that machine worked without problem.

The n/w problem has screwed accessing machines by network name.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The n/w problem has screwed accessing machines by network name.
    Mmmmm, in my experience I've seen that "upgrading" to W10 can change the computer's name. If that was what caused your problems, it should have been possible to change the name back to what it was previously.

Anyhow, problem solved?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mmmmm, in my experience I've seen that "upgrading" to W10 can change the computer's name.
    That's not my experience. Names remain unchanged when upgrading to Win 10.

The true issue appears to be the way how MediaPortal handles IP addresses. A standard Win 10 upgrade/install will activate IPv6. If TV Server IP lookup is set to automatic or to the computer name, it will resolve into the respective IPv6 address, which then the MediaPortal client is not able to connect to. That's not a Windows problem but caused by the MP1 implementation.

For the client one needs to replace the Auto or computer name in the configuration by the absolute IPv4 address. The last resort is always to completely deactivate IPv6 on all machines, but I would consider this an end-of-the-pipe approach.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @HTPCSourcer
    Names remain unchanged when upgrading to Win 10.
    Without meaning to be argumentative, that's actually not true. Here's one example where I saw evidence that it happened:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...update-mepo-is-f-d.131717/page-3#post-1149351

While I can't be 100% certain that MP1 operates fine in an IPv6-only environment (because I've never tried it), I'm not currently aware of any specific problems or blocks in MP's code that would prevent it from working. If you know of specific issues/limitations, please feel free to share.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Without meaning to be argumentative, that's actually not true. Here's one example where I saw evidence that it happened:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...update-mepo-is-f-d.131717/page-3#post-1149351
    mm, in this thread the computer name was changed to HENRY1971. You cannot seriously mean that Windows 10 did this.

While I can't be 100% certain that MP1 operates fine in an IPv6-only environment (because I've never tried it), I'm not currently aware of any specific problems or blocks in MP's code that would prevent it from working. If you know of specific issues/limitations, please feel free to share.
    I did describe a specific case: Set the TVServer entry in MP Config | TV/Radio to either Auto or name of the TV Server PC will in a standard, inchanged Win 10 environment resolve into the IPV6 address. While the configuration will report successful connection, the client is actually not functioning and the client log 4shows a connection attempt to the IPv6 address, which in MP1 is not successful and an error is thrown.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think we may be getting a bit off-topic here, but nevertheless...

You cannot seriously mean that Windows 10 did this.
    I sure do. Wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it. :)

The person claimed:
    My computer name is the same even after Windows 10 update.

However the system event log from the first post in that same thread (-->here<--) shows:
    "13/08/2015 08:28:01";"EventLog";"(0)";"Information";"The NetBIOS name and DNS host name of this machine have been changed from DESKTOP-M7P1NB6 to HENRY1971.";"2147489659"
    "13/08/2015 08:28:01";"EventLog";"(0)";"Information";"Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 10.00. 10240 Multiprocessor Free.";"2147489657"
    "13/08/2015 08:28:01";"EventLog";"(0)";"Information";"The Event log service was started.";"2147489653"

If the person didn't manually change it, I can't think of any other explanation for how it could have changed. From what I can see, those event log entries are literally the first entries created by W10 after the person updated. Do you have an alternative explanation?

I did describe a specific case
    I mean even more specific than that. To be clear: there are [at least] 3 connections between client and server.
    1. .NET remoting, for command/control.
    2. Database, for data persistence and retrieval.
    3. RTSP/RTP or SMB/UNC, for streaming.
    Which connection(s) are you referring to?

Set the TVServer entry in MP Config | TV/Radio to... Auto...
    Note that would be invalid, so would not work.

While the configuration will report successful connection, the client is actually not functioning and the client log 4shows a connection attempt to the IPv6 address, which in MP1 is not successful and an error is thrown.
    Again, "not functioning" is not specific enough for me to translate it to a code issue/limitation.
    What exactly is not working? ...or in other words: which connection(s) do you think is/are failing?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the person didn't manually change it, I can't think of any other explanation for how it could have changed. From what I can see, those event log entries are literally the first entries created by W10 after the person updated. Do you have an alternative explanation?
    Yes, I do. The original computer name prior to the Win 10 update was HENRY1971. The Win 10 installer launches its own system that assigns a default name to the computer it is running on, in this case DESKTOP-M7P1NB6 (Windows 10 auto-naming). The system is then upgraded, i.e. scanned for software and other existing information, including the original computer name, which is then changed into what it was before the upgrade.

Again, "not functioning" is not specific enough for me to translate it to a code issue/limitation.
    What exactly is not working? ...or in other words: which connection(s) do you think is/are failing?
    This was not supposed top be a bug report. It simply is not possible to watch TV on a default Win 10 system, which has IPv6 addresses activated. Trying to do so results in a pop up error message that the connection failed. I don't remember if this was a simple "TImeshift could not be started" or something else. The respective client log is showing the error message that the connection to **long IPv6 address** could not be established.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This was not supposed top be a bug report.
    Okay, so where do we go from here?
    Are you simply trying to inform me about something?
    ...or are you expecting me to do something with the information you're supplying?
    (Just a bit confused about what your goal is.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom