MP Freezes after resume & doesn't record :-( (1 Viewer)

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I use exclusively Timeshift EPG and over 5+ years found it to be the best way to get DVB T/T2 EPG ota

DVB EPG.JPG

These are my settings at the moment.

Every time a channel is timeshifted or a recording starts an EPG grab is done (takes 2 mins SQL update on my system)

The 'always try to update existing entries' ensures any Broadcast EPG changes are updated, they would not otherwise.

The idle grab had in some instances in the past releases of MP of locking tuners with some users.

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
    November 12, 2012
    Nottingham, United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I tried disabling EPG grabbing (idle) and no power scheduling. still freezes on resume, actually, still running but response is delayed 10 - 30 seconds to a point where its not usable. Just a thought I tried hibernate and this works ok. I suppose could use this but resuming from sleep or standby should be faster.

edit, hibernate does not work as it resumes after about a minute. ahh, this is because wake on PCI in BIOS.

Last edited:

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

maybe its a problem with the away Mode of Windows 7? Had this kind of problems too and disabling the away mode of win7/Mainboard has worked for me.

Knobby

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ok, it hasn't worked and I'm back to square one!

Last night I set MP to record a program during the night then sent it to standby. When I came home this evening I had the PC resume and selected "TV". This time it didn't freeze completely, it just went very slow taking approximately 5 seconds to move between menu items. I've attached the all the logs - the files are "TV Server Logs" & "MediaPortalLogs".
    I managed to close MP client and then restarted it. I selected "TV" then "TV Guide" then selected a channel to watch, at which point MP client froze and I had to use Task Manager to close it down. I did another extract of the logs which are called "Crash Logs".
    I rebooted the PC and everything is back to normal, but the program I set the PC to record during the night did not record :-(

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Recording didn't work because the tuner had NO signal when returning from standby, this can be because the tvserver initialises before the tvcard is ready. Some old legacy pci tuner cards were problematic and many USB plugin tuners.

The logs show that the tvserver correctly tried to gain a signal throught the recording duration.

Set the delay for tuner detection to 10s and turn off reinit tv service on resume is a good place to start.

You are using PS++, I don't use this plugin so can't comment on the problems if any it can cause. Try its main forum thread.

When the MP client crash/freeze 18.02.26, I can't see what the problem is in the logs BUT I would check via tvserver config and mnaualy try timeshifting to see if the tvserer is active and working.

Last edited:

Knobby

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Set the delay for tuner detection to 10s and turn off reinit tv service on resume is a good place to start.
    It is set to 10 seconds at the moment, and the option to reinitialise the tv service is not checked. I've increased the delay to 15 seconds.

You are using PS++, I don't use this plugin so can't comment on the problems if any it can cause. Try its main forum thread.
    How can I get rid of this plugin and get back to standard PS? I can't see a way of uninstalling any plugins.

When the MP client crash/freeze 18.02.26, I can't see what the problem is in the logs BUT I would check via tvserver config and mnaualy try timeshifting to see if the tvserer is active and working.
    I'll try this tomorrow, assuming it crashes again!

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    A standard tvserver uninstal followed by an instal should revert to the original PS.

No need to use the deploy tool, navigate to the temp folder the deploy tool extracts too

C:\Users\........\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaPortal Installation\deploy

and use the exe. package-tvengine.exe.

Knobby

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Ok, still no joy. Resumed from standby today and it froze again. I closed MP client down then opened up the tv configuration program. Selecting "manual control" there are no cards listed and after a couple of seconds it becomes non-responsive and has to be closed with task manager.
    Untitled.jpg

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Do you have the logs for the above crash.

At this point i would uninstall all of MP; databases and all, everything

Then install MP without ANY additional plugins and start from scratch.

Either you have a screwy MP instal or the OS and TVTuner drivers are failing at return from standby.

Knobby

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2007
    Home Country
    I didn't extract the logs at the time. This is currently my 3rd reinstall of Windows 7 and 5th reinstall of MP. I'm now going to go back and do a clean install of Windows XP the try again with MP, as last time I used XP I didn't experience these problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom