MP freezes up after long period of inactivity (1 Viewer)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    for me it really is the epg part.
    I'm now trying to locate the channel that is causing this, but this takes a LONG time :(

just set it like in the screenshot.. if EPG is the problem .. crashing should occur more often..

p.s. also note... if your provider doesnt send CRC checks.. you could try disabling this.. and see if the crashes come back ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      35.1 KB

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yes i know all that stuff, i've been testing that already. i'm at the point that i'm positivly sure certain channels, or to be more specific, data sent through certain channels while epggrabbing, make mp crash.
    i'm now trying to find out which channels by selecting and deselecting channels day by day and see what has happened the next day...

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MP freezes up after long period of inactivity

for me it really is the epg part.
    I'm now trying to locate the channel that is causing this, but this takes a LONG time :(

just set it like in the screenshot.. if EPG is the problem .. crashing should occur more often..

p.s. also note... if your provider doesnt send CRC checks.. you could try disabling this.. and see if the crashes come back ?

a little bit OT but,
    how can I find out if my provider sends CRC checks?

cheers

joystick

Razorblade

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is what I found out:

I disabled epg grabbing on those channels that do not provide epg data. Or at least on those channels that display "no data available"

Since that day (about 2 weeks ago) my box only crashed once with the error message "Connection to TVServer lost". Before disabling epg grabbing the tvserver crashed twice or three times a day and most of the time without an error message.

G-l-l4X0r7

Portal Member
    February 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Got the same problem, random crashes of the tvservice... (mostly without error messages or can't connect on Port 31456 in logs).

I've tried a lot but disabling epg grabbing when idle was the only solution for me...
    since then everything was fine except the slow epg updates.

I assume this has something to do with encrypted channels and mdplug, can't test it right now.

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Got the same problem, random crashes of the tvservice... (mostly without error messages or can't connect on Port 31456 in logs).

I've tried a lot but disabling epg grabbing when idle was the only solution for me...
    since then everything was fine except the slow epg updates.

I assume this has something to do with encrypted channels and mdplug, can't test it right now.

If you can, you could try deselecting all channels in the epg grabbing section, and start selecting them one by one. Each day a new channel extra. If crashing starts to occur, the channel you activated for epg grabbing the day before is causing problems. Deselect that one and follow with the next channel, etc.

RubeneMaister

Portal Member
    September 10, 2010
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hello. I have the same problem. These are the steps I do to reproduce the error:

1 .- I turn on the PC, open MediaPortal, and open the TV .... Everything works fine.
    2 .- I stop and close MediaPortal TV.
    3 .- I open internet / play music / etc ... (About 20 / 30 minutes)
    4 .- I open MediaPortal and open the TV ... MediaPortal freezes :(
    5 .- &%$·"!·$%&!!! My girlfriend gets angry xD
    6 .- With a .BAT I close MediaPortal, restart TVService and open MediaPortal.
    7 .- I open the TV ... Everything works fine.

My HTPC:
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.1
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
    Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
    CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
    HDD: SATA
    Memory: Kingston DDR2 4 Gb
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q
    Video Card: ATI HD3600 PCIe
    Video Card Driver: latest
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe
    Sound Card Driver: latest
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge hvr 4000
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Ac3
    h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD 10
    Cooling: 1x 80 mm fan + 1 x cpu fan
    Power Supply: ANTEC
    Remote: Hauppauge
    TV: Samsung
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

I attached logs.

Thanks!

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    after reading this thread I disabled DVB epg grabbing and installed xmltv instead. I had prior to this 1-2 crashes of the tv-server pr day and all sorts of glitches on my system caused by an unstable server, after I have only had one crash related to some other issue over the last fortnight.

My system is, after 4 years of tinkering, as stable as any commercial settop box, so a THANK YOU mp team for making this absolutely wonderful piece of software! And thanks to you guys here for narrowing it down to the epg!

Best regards
    Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom