[confirm] MP hangs when starting certain .ts files (2 Viewers)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you recording and timeshifting to the same drive?

I'm only guessing, but there could be even less free space when you are recording if you are also timeshifting.

Are you able to reliably create a recording that crashes? If so, could you free up some space and then try?

It would be interesting to see logs of when the recording was created, although I suspect they are long gone.

Mark

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Had a look at det file & it crashes in thumb creation (mtn, Size = Cannot evaluate expression because a native frame is on top of the call stack.), so we need help from a developer to figure out why it happens with this file & how we can work around / fix it.

Regards
    Roy

rovalis

Portal Member
    March 8, 2006
    Germany
    I have the same problem. Every 3rd or 4th recording seems to be corrupt and MP crashes. I then need the task manager.

I use different HDD for timeshifting and recording, both a lot of free space.

Problem started 3 or 4 weeks ago. I had RC2 those days but with RC6 the problem is still there. It just started without changes to MP. But the recordings are fine, I can watch them with WMP or cyberlink.

I think is has to do with an Windows update, because I did not made any changes to MP.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have the same problem. Every 3rd or 4th recording seems to be corrupt and MP crashes. I then need the task manager.

I use different HDD for timeshifting and recording, both a lot of free space.

Problem started 3 or 4 weeks ago. I had RC2 those days but with RC6 the problem is still there. It just started without changes to MP. But the recordings are fine, I can watch them with WMP or cyberlink.

I think is has to do with an Windows update, because I did not made any changes to MP.

Hi,
    Only logs will tell if it's the same, you could have a complete other bug then this specific one.

Regards
    Roy

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Are you recording and timeshifting to the same drive?

I'm only guessing, but there could be even less free space when you are recording if you are also timeshifting.

Are you able to reliably create a recording that crashes? If so, could you free up some space and then try?

It would be interesting to see logs of when the recording was created, although I suspect they are long gone.

Mark

I have no idea why the .ts file makes the client crash so I can not create recordings that will trigger this issue on demand, sorry. As you guessed there are no logs left from when this recording was created.

I don't understand how lack of disk space (and I have never run out of disk space) would make the MP client crash when trying to play a .ts file? The .ts file also makes Romuz client crash so I would guess that rules out anything specific to my own setup. It must rather be something specific to the file itself.

Hi,
    Had a look at det file & it crashes in thumb creation (mtn, Size = Cannot evaluate expression because a native frame is on top of the call stack.), so we need help from a developer to figure out why it happens with this file & how we can work around / fix it.

Regards
    Roy

Is the thumb created everytime I try to play the file? Please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you all so far for your assistance.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    dhasselqvist, the ts file you uploaded will be used for further debugging(yes thumbs it's created if they do not exist & not blacklisted, in your ts file it freeze on load), just need some help from a developer to figure out why this completely stops there & we can see it in debug mode in Visual Studio & break mode, so will figure it out in the end ;)

Regards
    Roy

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    OK... I've reread and studied my answers and feel a clairifcation is in order. When I read the oiginal post I thought MP was crashing when the user was trying to record a tv show. Apparently I misinterpreted his initial description. It seems that certain files he had recorded are causing MP to hang when he attempts to play them back via Recorded-TV playback, right? And, more to the point it's not from the host machine but from another client machine reading the file across a LAN connection, right?

So, my pointing out the limited disc space is irrelevent to an already recorded file. It's just that I was having trouble getting shows to record when (I didn't realize) I had a too full HDD. I thought this user was having trouble recording and it now seems it's a playback issue.

As far as having playback problems, I had trouble with Mediainfo which was corrected in 0002948: bug in MediaInfo.dll causes playback of ATSC recordings to fail - also causes playback delay for various video formats for RC5. (Although there still is no new mediainfo.dll update on the Sourceforge site - only an SVN created (and delivered inside RC5 & RC6) for MediaPortal based upon Simone's bug report to the Mediainfo developers.)

I find it interesting that his mediaportal.log states:
    2010-07-07 11:20:13.542620 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: TvRecorded Play:D:\Inspelning\SVT2\Ingen bor i skogen 2010-07-05\Ingen bor i skogen - E4.ts - using rtsp mode:False
    to play the file which I thought would call mediainfo to 'cifer the file's details and oddly enough and there is no error.log included in the .zip report. When I had issue on my single-seat installation it was with TV-Series causing MP to hang...

I suspect this issue is along the same lines as I had where some other plug-in (what is the PowerScheduler or PSClientPlugin log entries at 11:20:13 asking to playback the file) is hi-jacking the MP application... This may be related to the Client installation or some way it interacts but it sure looks like what I had with TV-Series.

I have to ask - does playing this file on the host machine cause a hang-up? (Trying to separate the host from a client operation)

Have you loaded an older version of Mediainfo.dll into the MediaPortal folder and tried that? I found I had two issues and once I resolved the TV-Series one we determined that using Mediainfo.dll version 0.7.30 worked to correct the other! Being able to play the 'suspect' .ts file on WMP and other players is exactly how my issue was when Mediainfo was swapped out for a newer (and untested) version. This may be an issue with the Mediainfo.dll SVN version distributed in RC5 & RC6 which fixed my issue on an ATSC-broadcast .ts file but maybe not these...

I'd also ask to disable thumbnail creation and see how that effects this hangup - maybe the ThumbnailCreator is hanging MP.

UPDATE 1: One more thought - there are other plug-in packages which load MediaInfo.dll, specifically TV-Series version 2.5.4 uses the released version 0.7.33 OVERWRITING the SVN-version included in RC5 & RC6. Not realizing this would unwillingly reintroduce this issue - that's why we need to follow up on whether the developers at mediainfo will be incorporating our SVN into a future release, or if the .ts files in this post are yet another separate issue w/mediainfo. Also realize that StreamedMP v1.2.0 includes the TV-Series 2.5.4 "plug-in library" so innocently reinstalling it will override the RC5/RC6fix as well!

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    OK... I've reread and studied my answers and feel a clairifcation is in order. When I read the oiginal post I thought MP was crashing when the user was trying to record a tv show. Apparently I misinterpreted his initial description. It seems that certain files he had recorded are causing MP to hang when he attempts to play them back via Recorded-TV playback, right? And, more to the point it's not from the host machine but from another client machine reading the file across a LAN connection, right?

So, my pointing out the limited disc space is irrelevent to an already recorded file. It's just that I was having trouble getting shows to record when (I didn't realize) I had a too full HDD. I thought this user was having trouble recording and it now seems it's a playback issue.

As far as having playback problems, I had trouble with Mediainfo which was corrected in 0002948: bug in MediaInfo.dll causes playback of ATSC recordings to fail - also causes playback delay for various video formats for RC5. (Although there still is no new mediainfo.dll update on the Sourceforge site - only an SVN created (and delivered inside RC5 & RC6) for MediaPortal based upon Simone's bug report to the Mediainfo developers.)

I find it interesting that his mediaportal.log states:
    2010-07-07 11:20:13.542620 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: TvRecorded Play:D:\Inspelning\SVT2\Ingen bor i skogen 2010-07-05\Ingen bor i skogen - E4.ts - using rtsp mode:False
    to play the file which I thought would call mediainfo to 'cifer the file's details and oddly enough and there is no error.log included in the .zip report. When I had issue on my single-seat installation it was with TV-Series causing MP to hang...

I suspect this issue is along the same lines as I had where some other plug-in (what is the PowerScheduler or PSClientPlugin log entries at 11:20:13 asking to playback the file) is hi-jacking the MP application... This may be related to the Client installation or some way it interacts but it sure looks like what I had with TV-Series.

I have to ask - does playing this file on the host machine cause a hang-up? (Trying to separate the host from a client operation)

Have you loaded an older version of Mediainfo.dll into the MediaPortal folder and tried that? I found I had two issues and once I resolved the TV-Series one we determined that using Mediainfo.dll version 0.7.30 worked to correct the other! Being able to play the 'suspect' .ts file on WMP and other players is exactly how my issue was when Mediainfo was swapped out for a newer (and untested) version. This may be an issue with the Mediainfo.dll SVN version distributed in RC5 & RC6 which fixed my issue on an ATSC-broadcast .ts file but maybe not these...

I'd also ask to disable thumbnail creation and see how that effects this hangup - maybe the ThumbnailCreator is hanging MP.

UPDATE 1: One more thought - there are other plug-in packages which load MediaInfo.dll, specifically TV-Series version 2.5.4 uses the released version 0.7.33 OVERWRITING the SVN-version included in RC5 & RC6. Not realizing this would unwillingly reintroduce this issue - that's why we need to follow up on whether the developers at mediainfo will be incorporating our SVN into a future release, or if the .ts files in this post are yet another separate issue w/mediainfo. Also realize that StreamedMP v1.2.0 includes the TV-Series 2.5.4 "plug-in library" so innocently reinstalling it will override the RC5/RC6fix as well!

Hi Andrew and thank you for your efforts.

Perhaps the missunderstanding of my post is due to lack of english writing skills; my appologies for that. To my defence it is not my native language (obviously).

The issue regards playback of .ts files from the RecordedTV section of the MP client. The installation is of type single-seat; i.e client and server is on the same physical computer.

I'm using Tv-series and MovingPictures plug-ins although I have not re-installed them after installing RC6. When reproducing the error and collecting the logs I was using debug-mode which disables all 3rd party plug-ins. I have not tested with older MediInfo.dll's.

I think I will await Ronilse's attempts to nail this down with a developer before I tamper with my setup (the rest of the family is not so entustiastic as I am about new file versions :) ).

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Please don't appologize... no problem with your english - glad to have you aboard! I think loading RC6 would have reinstalled the mediainfo.dll and not reloading the plug-ins is good. I'll ask you to disable TV-Series in the MP-config / plugins section and see what happens when you play the file. That's what fixed my issue (I'd linked you to it above) and this is just a setting you can reenable after testing. I too have a single-seat installation, no clients - or will someone correct me... I have only the one PC and I do the simple installation with TV option when I install MP. This is why Im asking about your saying it's a client that's crashing... seems you have only the one PC as well and IT is crashing when you try to play the file, right? This sounds a lot like what I had with TV-Series being misconfigured.

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'll ask you to disable TV-Series in the MP-config / plugins section and see what happens when you play the file. That's what fixed my issue (I'd linked you to it above) and this is just a setting you can reenable after testing.

No luck with disabling TV-series; same freeze as before.

Perhaps this gets a bit off topic but just to not confuse you anymore I'll try to explaine what I mean by client/server. In my world client and server are just applications. They can run on the same computer or communicate across a network between different computers. So for me the client is the MediaPortal application and the server is TvServer application. This is regardless of single-seat or not. But in the future I should perhaps just say MP for the client and TvServer for the server so that it doesn't confuse anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom