MP Support for MPEG4 HW Encoders (1 Viewer)

Tau C Seti

Portal Member
November 19, 2005
Sydney Australia
There are several supposed HW MPEG4 encoders currently available. For a concise summary of currently available VI (analogue) HW MPEG4 encoders, please refer HERE

Has anyone had any experience at all with these cards?

Before I get shot down in flames, I must say that I am in the process of building my first HTPC, wish to include MPEG4 (all flavors i.e. initially ASP then AVC), and have NOT run MP (or anything else). This is simply a fact finding mission to help plan a design I have in mind :)

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No we still only support MPEG-2 encoders however when a new recording engine for analogue gets done then this should allow for more flexibility.

DMAN

Tau C Seti

Portal Member
    November 19, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Current Best Real-Time HW MPEG4 for HTPC

Fair enough. If MP was to look at HW ASP encoding, the WIS systems GO7007 encoder chip (ie as used in the Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U and others) may be the best place to start.

The only short-coming of this Divx Certified Chip is that it is unable to process 16:9 (The reulting AVI file will have black bands top and bottom which are part of the encoded AVI stream - Nothing that a simple cropping procedure won't cure :wink: )

Current users of the PX-M402U will know that the HW is robust and produces excellent results. The only problem was the lacklustre supporting SW (Windvd Creator or GoCap). This has now been remedied by the fact that the PX-M402U is now supported by the much better NeroVision Express 3 software available in Nero 6 and up :D
    Other packages that work with the M402U are Ulead VideoStudio 8 SE, Roxio Easy Media Creator and Virtual Dub.

The PX-M402U is seen as a capture device in Windoze, and currently supported in GPVR, GAM, Snapstream, Sage TV, etc, and is also supported in Linux (i.e. MythTV, etc)

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: Current Best Real-Time HW MPEG4 for HTPC

Tau C Seti said:
    Fair enough. If MP was to look at HW ASP encoding, the WIS systems GO7007 encoder chip (ie as used in the Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U and others) may be the best place to start.

The only short-coming of this Divx Certified Chip is that it is unable to process 16:9 (The reulting AVI file will have black bands top and bottom which are part of the encoded AVI stream - Nothing that a simple cropping procedure won't cure :wink: )

Current users of the PX-M402U will know that the HW is robust and produces excellent results. The only problem was the lacklustre supporting SW (Windvd Creator or GoCap). This has now been remedied by the fact that the PX-M402U is now supported by the much better NeroVision Express 3 software available in Nero 6 and up :D
    Other packages that work with the M402U are Ulead VideoStudio 8 SE, Roxio Easy Media Creator and Virtual Dub.

The PX-M402U is seen as a capture device in Windoze, and currently supported in GPVR, GAM, Snapstream, Sage TV, etc, and is also supported in Linux (i.e. MythTV, etc)

We know one of the test team has a Plextor.
    We asked WIS for the SDK for the chip to make it work and they ignored us constantly.
    If you get us that then we can look to add it.

DMAN

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: Current Best Real-Time HW MPEG4 for HTPC

dman_lfc said:
    ...We know one of the test team has a Plextor.
    We asked WIS for the SDK for the chip to make it work and they ignored us constantly.
    If you get us that then we can look to add it.

DMAN

DMAN - Have you looked at this webpage?

On that webpage It has the sourcecode for the Linux driver. Will that help any developer at all?

Mike

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Tau C Seti said:
    As noted, the Linux SDK is freely available - With Windoze you have to apply and agree to commercial non-disclosure terms, before they even think of giving it to you...

I didn't see the Windows SDK mentioned anywhere (on any site I found realting to this product/chipset). Can you provide more details?

Mike

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I applied - no reply - simple as that.

DMAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom