MP TV-Series Thumbnail Updater .78 Released! (1 Viewer)

Weeji

Portal Member
March 14, 2009
Whoops, I forgot to include a "don't rename the file if target file already exists" clause. It seems to have not liked that I didn't do that. I fixed it, and you can re-download it here. It should re-populate your thumbnail fields now.

For your question, it already does what you are asking, just without showing you. It doesn't do anything if the episode already has a thumbnail. It just skips it and moves on to the next one. The "show that its busy" thing already happens. The buttons become grayed out when you run the program until its finished. The reason there's not 2 button clicks to accomplish this is
a.) It would take 2 clicks instead of one to accomplish the same thing
and
b.) It would defeat the purpose of the program being fully automatic. The minute count at the bottom is how often the update button automatically clicks itself.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks... I'll try it again.

I was just noting, though, that apparently the updater created thumbs for episodes that already had thumbs in the db, just didn't change the db for those. Just thought that it would go faster if it skipped the episode completely, rather than making a thumb in the video folder for it.

Chuck

Weeji

Portal Member
    March 14, 2009
    Its true, it does create thumbs for everything. It was quicker to simply ask for a directory to create thumbs in, and have it create thumbs there. I could probably re-write it to only create the thumbs it needs, but when you think about it, after the first time you ever run the program, all those thumbs will be there already, and it will skip them next time, making it faster.

All this having been said, I'll probably get bored tomorrow and do exactly what you mentioned.

Weeji

Portal Member
    March 14, 2009
    Here, try this. It's the same thing, but I labeled it 0.81 so that we're sure you're using the updated version. It also says 0.81 in the About section.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    YAY!!! it has no error!!!

all thumbs appear in TV Series.... except.... 2 episodes are consistently skipped, don't know why. Thumbs just aren't made, but the VIDEO_TS.jpg is entered into the db.

odd

but that's small potatoes to the improvements!

:D:D

Chuck

I think, if it were a button added to the MP GUI, that it should be on demand... and only scan when new a episode has been added to the db, then update only those files needed. I believe that updating frequently might impact performance. Scanning alone would take but a moment. Few people are going to be adding to their collection and watching at the same time. I add remotely on the network to my HTPC, and TV Series adds them when I enter the plugin. It would be inconvenient to say the least if thumbs are created before TV Series is able to download them from theTVDB.

Chuck

Weeji

Portal Member
    March 14, 2009
    Chuck,

Luckily, the moment that MP TV-Series finds the episode, it immediately finds its online record and adds it (including the thumbnail if it finds one on thetvdb.com) to the database along with the link to the local file. The thumbnail updater doesn't run on an episode until it is in the database. Therefore, a thumbnail from thetvdb.com will always be used if available before the thumbnail updater even attempts to create one for the episode.

For your plugin idea, I think that once I implement your idea about thumbnail creation only if the episode doesn't have a thumbnail on thetvdb.com, that all it will be doing is scanning anyway (unless a new episode with no thumb is found), so no need to turn it into a plugin. You could then just set it to update every minute or 2.

Weeji

Portal Member
    March 14, 2009
    Ok, so here I am again, fresh with a new update. Download Version 0.82 for the update I mentioned in the previous post about only creating necessary thumbs rather than creating thumbs for everything.

The only problem that this creates is that now, and it's not too big, with the DVD rip fix I made last time, the update now has to be run twice before it renames the thumbnail from the VOB filename to the IFO filename.

I'm actually going to now look into making this program run at ultra-low priority, so that its sure to not cause video stuttering during playback.
    EDIT: I found some code that looks to do this, and added it to the current version (0.82). Not sure if it works, since there's no real way to test it, but it didn't give me an error.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've tried this, and while thumbs are created, they're not imported into my database. Am I missing some configuration step? Do I have to configure My TV-Series some way?

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom