MP Unstable Under VISTA_64 (was: Cannot kill Mediaportal process) (1 Viewer)

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello.

When Mediaportal freezes (and in my system it often does) I cannot kill the Mediaportal process from task manager. The only thing I have to do is rebooting my machine (and it takes more then 5 minutes).

I do not provide logs because MP crashes for different issues.

Bye
    :D

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Is this why MediaPortal often freezes ....

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 2.4 GHz - 3.20 GHz Overclocked

:confused:

Mmmhh... I'll try to make some tests with the CPU in factory's freq but MP freezes (when freezes) always in the same points: sometimes when I change channel on MyTv, sometimes when I exit from MyTv, sometimes when I minimize the window when watching a video (press "Exit" from MyVideo), sometimes when listen to music and change environment, and so on...

When freezes in this way is for me impossible also get the logs. And above all is impossible to kill the process from task manager to restart the program.

bye
    aP
    :D

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    MP freezes (when freezes) always in the same points: sometimes when I change channel on MyTv, sometimes when I exit from MyTv, sometimes when I minimize the window when watching a video (press "Exit" from MyVideo), sometimes when listen to music and change environment, and so on .....
    Well, that's not at the same point - that's at many, many different points and is a strong indication that your PC is unstable - probably because it is overclocked ..... ;)

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I'll promise... tonight I'll try with the CPU turned down. But perhaps the instability is more caused by the driver the FloppyDTVs boards that for VISTA 64 is still in beta version.

Anyway the issue is another... Why I cannot kill the MP (client) process while everything else I can kill? I can stop the TVServer service, I can stop and kill all the other processes but not MP.

aP

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Actually you can kill the process but it takes longer than usual. If you wait and don't try again and again it will "die" eventually. Also check the graphics card in case you'r overclocking that too and do a memtest in case you have overclocked and overvolted your memory. Keep in mind that with a bad/badly overclocked memory disk data corruption is usual , so be prepared for a full reinstall.

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    But why it takes so long time? :confused:

Found why:
    The Old New Thing : Why do some process stay in Task Manager after they've been killed?

In fact often MP crashes in TV operation.

About overclocking: I turned all my system down (CPU and GPU; I've never overclocked memory) -> The problem persists. I hope it's just a matter regarding memory... In fact now my system mounts second choice quality RAM and I'm going to mount best quality RAM.

If it's not so I donnow what to do.

Bye
    aP

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    If you are willing to solve your issues you have to provide logs. You have a better chance of beiing helped this way.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In fact often MP crashes in TV operation.

From everything I have read so far, it does sound likely that the drivers may be the issue here.

I would ask, how does the manufacturers software work, are there any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom