MP Unstable Under VISTA_64 (was: Cannot kill Mediaportal process) (1 Viewer)

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Well...
    First of all thanks to everybody about the precious helping! :)
    In fact often MP crashes in TV operation.

From everything I have read so far, it does sound likely that the drivers may be the issue here.

I would ask, how does the manufacturers software work, are there any problems.
    It's true that MP in my system often crashes in TV operation... but perhaps it's a matter of statistic as I spend more time watching TV instead of watching videos.

For what concern the manufacturers software (FireDTV Viewer) there are no problem.

For what concern the MP freezing I found something interesting: it's a matter of renderer!

I tested the system in the following:

(a) MP in "Start MediaPortal in fullscreen mode = ON" and "Renderer = EVR"
    ----> works! Never froze in my tests;

(b) MP in "Start MediaPortal in fullscreen mode = OFF" (in this case I maximize the window by hand) and "Renderer = VMR9"
    ----> works! It rarely froze or made black screen but with workaround for making a window update I get the control again; in this case it's also possible to close MP (and MP process) without any problem;

(c) MP in "Start MediaPortal in fullscreen mode = ON" and "Renderer = VMR9"
    ----> FAILS! Often freezes or black screen; in this case it's not possible to close the process until a lapse of time (5 minutes in my case);

For the (c) point the freezing happens in the following situation:
    1. Sometimes when I'm watching a TV channel and I press the remote control "exit" button many times to reach the Home menu... when I reach the Home menu MP freezes;
    2. Sometimes when I'm watching a video and I press the remote control "exit" button many times to reach the Home menu (same as above);
    3. Sometimes when I press the "epg" button and I enter the EPG environment;
    4. In general when I'm watching something and I enter an environment in which the video window is minimized in the bottom left corner;
    5. Sometimes when I change channel under MyTV environment (freezing or black screen);
    6. MP never freezes while watching a video or a TV channel (and I do not change the channel or I do not minimize the channel or the video): in that case I can play with pause/timeshifting for hours without freezing MP.

So:
    - It's not a matter of TV-Card hardware (in fact, why it freezes also with MyVideo?);
    - It's not a matter of overclocking (in fact why it freezes also in normal speed?);
    - It's not a matter of RAM: I've just installed 8 gigs of prime quality DDR2 800 MHz Corsair RAM before my tests and for the (c) point situation it freezes again;

I'm a C++ developer and I've a small IT company. With our company we develop a video-acquiring software for medical purposes based on DirectShow.
    We have found that creating a FilterGraph with the Video Mixing Renderer 9 in Windowless mode (is this the case of "Start MediaPortal in fullscreen mode = ON"?) under Vista causes some freezing problem. Perhaps is due to the fact that Vista does not implement DirectX9 natively but has to emulate it through DirectX10. Maybe...

So more stable case in my test in (a). Unfortunately with VMR9 in MP it's possible to choose enhanced interpolation method like "gaussian quad filtering" while with EVR it's not; and the difference (especially when rescaling standard TV resolution to FullHD resolution) it's quite appreciable.

bye
    aP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom