MP / Win 7 does not wake from sleep with Microsoft MCE remote (1 Viewer)

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
April 3, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi All,

I've got a strange issue that I need some help with.
My Microsoft MCE remote works perfectly except it won't wake my PC from sleep mode.
My wireless USB keyboard will wake the PC at the press of any button.
I have tried swapping USB ports (putting the or receiver in the keyboard USB port), and it still doesn't work.

When I press buttons on the remote including the power button the IR receiver LED does not flash at all.
I can confirm all the jumper settings on my PC are set to +5vsb and the USB hubs are all set to allow this device to wake.....

Any ideas?

Cheers - Scott

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
April 3, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
OK with a lot of playing I found the solution that worked for me - I've read a lot of forums on the web and my solution doesn't match any I've previously seen so hopefully this will help others.

I won't go into jumper settings, plugging the device in the right USB port, etc. Here's what worked for me:
To allow windows to wake, ensure the following things are set:
- control panel - power options - change plan settings - change advanced power settings, under USB settings - USB selective suspend setting is set to "Disabled"
- also try in device manager that all USB hubs have 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' unticked and that all the USB devices have allow this device to wake the computer' ticked.

After I did this I could wake the PC from sleep with the remote so long as map was not open. To get MP to wake from sleep, I needed to change this setting:
- in Mediaportal Configurator - General Setting - Startup/Resume Settings - make sure 'allow S3 standby although wake up devices are present' is ticked.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers - Scott

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
April 3, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
OK it looks like I posted too soon!

What is happening now is that when I power my devices down in succession with my harmony remote, in some cases my HTPC won't turn back on. I can confirm this is not a specific MP issue, but seems to be HDMI / Win 7 related.

The reason why I know this is because I have closed MP and am having the same issues.

If I put the HTPC to sleep with my remote, and then power down my AV receiver and TV after the HTPC has gone to sleep, the remote can wake it up. However, if my remote turns off the AV receiver and TV before the HTPC has gone to sleep, the HTPC won't wake up. My harmony remote is turning things off in the right order (HTPC first, TV 2nd, and AV receiver 3rd) and turns things back on in the right order too ( v receiver first, TV second, and htpc third) but aperture OK setting big delays on each remote operation I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Cheers - Scott

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If I put the HTPC to sleep with my remote, and then power down my AV receiver and TV after the HTPC has gone to sleep, the remote can wake it up. However, if my remote turns off the AV receiver and TV before the HTPC has gone to sleep, the HTPC won't wake up.

It is not that the HTPC is not waking up, the problem is it is waking up but it is not reconnecting with the display. So you think the HTPC is off, but infact it is on it is just not outputting anything to the display adapter. This was a problem related to 780G chipset/win7. I'm not 100% sure but I think this bug was fixed in a driver update, what version of CCC are you running?

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi kiwijunglist,

I'm 99% confident this isn't a display issue.
    The reason being is that when I tap any key on my wireless RF keyboard, the HTPC wakes up and the display turns on.
    Also if I put the HTPC to sleep and once it has fully gone to standby I the turn off my tv and avr, everything turns back on fine with my remote.
    Also, when my htpc won't turn on with the remote, there is no response (red light response) from the ir receiver while the HTPC is in sleep.

I am currently running the latest catalyst driver for my chip set - v13.1 (just released a day or 2 ago). This issue is happening with both ccc 12.6 and 13.1 installed.

Cheers - Scott

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ok perhaps the usb port isn't supplying power in S3 standby mode, or the usb port doesn't have access to wake from s3 sleep (bios AND control panel settings control this)[DOUBLEPOST=1359026544][/DOUBLEPOST]Does your wireless RF keyboard (which does work) use AC Power or USB Power?

Last edited:

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi kiwijunglist,

Thanks for the quick response.
    The ref wireless keyboard connects to a USB dongle. I have tried putting the IR receiver into the same port in case this issue was USB port specific.
    Also just to reiterate I can sometimes get my remote to turn the HTPC on. It seems to consistently work if I put the HTPC device to sleep before turning off my TV and v receiver. It seems to consistently fail where the AV receiver and TV are turned off while the HTPC is in the process of going to sleep.

FYI - just did some further testing - it seems that if I leave the AV receiver on, but turn off the TV, and then turn the HTPC off, it always fails. If I leave the TV on, but turn off the AV receiver and then turn off the HTPC with the remote, it seems to work fine, so the issue strangely seems to be linked with the TV.

Thanks - Scott

Last edited:

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

Yep the keyboard does not use AC power. It's a wireless keyboard that runs off AA batteries which connects to a USB dongle which is plugged into the USB port on the HTPC and nothing else.

Thanks - Scott

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well I would check your bios / control power settings to make sure usb devices can wake the HTPC from S3. In bios there is a seperate setting for usb device wake vs keyboard pwr key wake. Also I would troubleshoot using your original MCE remote rather than the harmony as the harmony may be messing up. In the situation where the harmony will not wake the HTPC, will the regular mce remote wake the htpc? And in this situation is the HTPC definitely in an S3 state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom