MP1 EVR Presenter/dshowhelper community development (2 Viewers)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nope not related to MP at all. Not even close...

We have nothing to do with using WaveIn/WaveOut audio recording. This is a thing you do in very bad application that use WinMM (legacy audio interface predating XP) for recording something with this API and then adjusting the sample rate with this API for output again or saving. This goes back to Win 3.0 and has been updated with XP a bit in number of audio streams.

The stuff was created for hooking up the CD player capacity of CD-Roms to sound cards, so CD audio track output played by the CD-Rom could be injected into the sound card. Bascially when the sound cards wasn't capable of 16Bit/44.1KHz the driver converter stuff with the simplest algorithm possible as CPUs couldn't handle it in real tome back then (today, every toaster can do this). That what this API is basically for. It's the Wave playback/recording part of Win 3.0. It was declared as deprecated with XP.

It was the first ever audio API on Win. It can't get more legacy then this. There is actually software out there that uses a Win 3.0 API Wave function? Must be a real piece of garbage software that haven't evolved at all and must be based on old Win95/98 code.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks, good to know it doesn't affect MP.

As he says though "In summary, the bug affects all audio record/capture/encoder applications that use the Microsoft MME API. These applications include Audacity, SoundForge, CoolEdit, older versions of Adobe Audition, and all streaming encoders that do not include their own resampling". I don't think you can call those applications garbage.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Actually the three quotes "WAV-Editors" are a perfect example for what I consider crap. They are a prime example of legacy software that stopped evolving. Especially the last two who had its root in Win3.0 and never got rid of them. Can't it get more legacy?
    • Audacity - horrible on all accounts - unusable, buggy. It's a perfect example of GPL software going bad by design.
    • Cool Edit - became Adobe Audition. Product alone doesn't exist anymore over a decade. It couldn't sell for a reason anymore. First rebranded to Audition then rewritten. Older Audition Version = Cool Edit.
    • SoundForge - Also dead. Last release over 20 months ago. No noteworthy improvement since a decade as well. Sony bought it and then it died a slow and painful death. Bumped major version numbers like there was no tomorrow in a final attempt to get some PR and rescue the product. Another bad move by Sony catching a falling knife.
    For the consumer/prosumer only Audtion CS6 is left - decent major rewrite. But the scope also changed a lot. And for a more professional digital audio stuff these products were never an option anyway as they lack professional workflow integration. The last two had it heights on Win98SE but died slowly with XP as digital audio workstations entered the Windows arena.

Only Streaming Encoder without own resampling I know = Real Video/Real Audio. And competitors of that time. Yes, the company still exists even no one has used real video/audio in this century. Same as AOL who became a blogging company.

And before you ask. There is really great DAW software out there for Windows. Also free. WAV Editors itself died with the rise of MP3. Pratically dead since 2002 when the iPod came to Windows and changed the way we listen to music.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Oh well. I thought Audacity was quite well respected ;)

I used to use Cool Edit (the pre-Adobe version) and loved it. I haven't used it recently as I haven't had time to do any audio stuff. Soundforge as well I used to use and recall it being pretty good. I'm not sure what "noteworthy improvement" you need from a WAV Editor. Generally good software ends up being trash because developers can't recognise it already does the job well and they're eager to "improve" it.

I know there's some good DAW software (I'm looking at Presonus Studio One) but it's daft to suggest that WAV Editors are redundant because of the rise of MP3. If I need to edit/create/mangle a sample, or even trim a recording before converting it to MP3, then I need a WAV Editor.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For GPL sample editor use LAoE. It's Java based but way better than Audacity, which is horrible. Don't know why it is so popular. LAoE is how the classic WAV-Editor as a standalone product should have evolved.

But it's not only about MP3 (WAV editor can load them). It's the good old stereo approach they have still in them. In the digital sound world it's not about sample editing anymore but about sound editing in general -and of course sound design. And this includes multi channel stuff and integration into other software of your workflow.

Today you can even do no-budget movies/shorts on a quality level that was 10 years ago reserved for Hollywood big budget production. Just get the right tools for the job.

For commercial low cost Steinberg Wavelab is still a decent choice. Still one of the best as it kept evolving. Even though I am not big on Steinberg Software in general Wavelab is still a good choice. But honestly, for the job where you need such an Editor LAoE seems the better choice. What Sony screwed up with SoundForge is what Wavelab delivers.

And if you need more like designing and mixing sounds (thinkg of a DTS-HD mixing, real sound editing for post - not just samples) then you are already in the DAW area, where also great open source stuff exists. But they can't not yet compete with commercial stuff when it comes to workflow integration.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    For GPL sample editor use LAoE. It's Java based but way better than Audacity, which is horrible. Don't know why it is so popular. LAoE is how the classic WAV-Editor as a standalone product should have evolved.

Thanks, I'll certainly take a look at LAoE. Good old stereo's still fine by me anyway, no need for any multi-channel/surround stuff personally.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hi all. Could new dshowhelper help me with live tv if I have XP+VMR9+ATI?
    Still dreaming about stutter free playback in mediaportal :(

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi all. Could new dshowhelper help me with live tv if I have XP+VMR9+ATI?
    Still dreaming about stutter free playback in mediaportal :(

No, since the changes are only for EVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom