Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.2

Description
Possible bugs:

1. WMC skin customised home menu does not always load. About 1 in 5 launches starts up with the default home menu. Restarting MP fixes this.
  2. Player skip steps modification doesn't take effect until MP client is closed and relaunched.
  3. Cannot stop video effect from defaulting to "sharpen (complex)" even when video effect changer option is disabled.
  4. Disabling "home content" in WMC skin only works for current session. It comes back again on next launch even though setting is still disabled.

Steps to Reproduce:
1: Use WMC skin. Create custom home menu structure. Close MP. Re-launch. About 1 in 5 launches will bring up the default home menu structure.

2: Edit the video player time skip steps, then try to use them. New steps will not appear until MP is close and re-launched.

3: Play Live TV or recorded TV. Select video effect other than "sharpen (complex)". Check video effect again. Sharpen (complex) will still be selected.

4: Switch off "home content" in WC skin. Home content will disappear. Close and re-launch MP. Home content will reappear even though setting is still disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I probably should add this to the instructions about bug reports: if possible only one issue per thread :) - this will make the follow up much, much easier for the team.

Cannot stop video effect from defaulting to "sharpen (complex)" even when video effect changer option is disabled.
    Actually this applies to any effect that one selects. Whatever you select survives only half a second and is immediately reverted. @morpheus_xx , not sure if this is intended.

Edit the video player time skip steps, then try to use them. New steps will not appear until MP is close and re-launched.
    Some changes in the settings are not instantaneous. See MP2-215 that we have categorized as "Will not fix". @morpheus_xx: can you tell if this falls within MP2-215 or is it possible to easily fix it?

1. and 4. appear to be skin-specific. @ge2301 has a separate section for WMC-related issues. You may want to post 1. and 4. there. However, 4 may fall into the same category as the above.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Actually this applies to any effect that one selects. Whatever you select survives only half a second and is immediately reverted. @morpheus_xx , not sure if this is intended.

I am almost sure that 2.1.3 remembered the video effect settings correctly, as I had them turned off to help diagnose a flickering video problem. But then again maybe I never went back to check. :) As a rule now I always go back and check that any changes I make in MP2.2 settings have been "remembered", but I don't think reverting the video effect setting could possibly be intended behavior.

I'm happy for some settings to require a restart, if that is necessary, but it would be good to have a message saying this. I actually modified the time skip settings five or six times before it occurred to me to re-start MP :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am almost sure that 2.1.3 remembered the video effect settings correctly
    I am absolutely certain that any attempt to change the effect on the fly yielded the described behavior, i.e. a quick switch to the new effect (e.g. black and white) that immediately reverted to its previous state. But I am unsure to what exact setting you refer.

I'm happy for some settings to require a restart, if that is necessary, but it would be good to have a message saying this
    I don't disagree. But that's one of these things that consume resources that we don't have enough. It is believed that settings don't change that often, so that it is merely a nuisance.

To fully implement this we would need an additional dimension for each setting that indicates whether a restart is required or not. A lot of work for a small result.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    I am absolutely certain that any attempt to change the effect on the fly yielded the described behavior, i.e. a quick switch to the new effect (e.g. black and white) that immediately reverted to its previous state. But I am unsure to what exact setting you refer.

In my case, I am specifically referring to changing the video effect to "none". I want it set to "none" but it reverts back to "sharpen (complex)".

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In my case, I am specifically referring to changing the video effect to "none". I want it set to "none" but it reverts back to "sharpen (complex)".
    Interestingly on my system it is always set to "None". Changing this setting is then reverted to "None" again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    3: Play Live TV or recorded TV. Select video effect other than "sharpen (complex)". Check video effect again. Sharpen (complex) will still be selected.
    What settings did you select in the Video Player setup for the effect changer? Note that there are two settings, one for low and the other for high resolutions. So if you were watching a HD show, the setting for "high" applies. Also if you'd like to permanently select another effect, you'll have to switch off the automatic effect changer to be able to manually set something else on the fly. It works for me now (y)

In essence I believe that MP2 does what it is supposed to do. We just need to properly set it up :)

Last edited:

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    What settings did you select in the Video Player setup for the effect changer? Note that there are two settings, one for low and the other for high resolutions. So if you were watching a HD show, the setting for "high" applies. Also if you'd like to permanently select another effect, you'll have to switch off the automatic effect changer to be able to manually set something else on the fly. It works for me now (y)

I am 99% certain I have the auto effect changer disabled but I will confirm tonight. I would have assumed that disabling the auto effect changer would then allow me to select another effect on the fly.

Maybe I need to enable the effect changer, select the effect I want to keep, and then disable it again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom